Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
hey hows it going?

i have a question, for anyone that knows, about the audio outs on the powerbooks. it is my understanding that with Panther the Mac OS is now capable of producing multichannel surround sound. As I live in a dorm, and will probably end up living in a studio apartment when i graduate, i tend to use my iBook as my means of watching movies (too lazy to pick up a cheap DVD player). i also plan to get a powerbook in the near future (holding out for another update).

my question is, is there a way to take advantage of the better sound of 5.1 speakers with the powerbooks? i would rather blow $300 on a speaker system for my computer than buy components and stuff for a stereo and have to watch movies on my ****ty tv.

so far i know that only the G5s have optical outputs. i dont need that but it would be nice. all i really need is a way to hook up to a 5.1 speaker system for a computer without using the minijack

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, the sonica works well if you have an optical input (or mini-plug for analogue) with your speaker system. If you have a coax digital input, you'll need the sonica theater which has 7.1 sound, I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.