Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Audio over standard DVI > HDMI?

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
What are the audio capabilities with the 1st 4 generations of MacBook Pros with standard full size DVI outputs when using a DVI to HDMI adapter?
I know that the mini display and thunderbolt ports support full quality 7.1 audio at 24bit 96KHz over HDMI (plug and play right out of the box to a surround receiver). What about the DVI machines? Can you at least get stereo audio thru the DVI port for basic TV/movie watching? Or is audio over HDMI only available starting on the 5th generation MacBook Pros?

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
DVI ports do not support audio out.

As in 'Period. End of discussion. No.' Any threads I see on the internets of people talking about getting audio to HDMI via DVI are full of it and just making stuff up?

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
The 2010 MacBook Pro can output audio via the Mini-DVI using a Mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor. I believe it was the first MBP that was able to do so.

EDIT: Actually no, they have Mini Displayport, not mini DVI.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 2010 MacBook Pro can output audio via the Mini-DVI using a Mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor. I believe it was the first MBP that was able to do so.

The 2010 Macbook Pro, like all uni-body Macbooks, has mini-DisplayPort, not mini-DVI.

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Well, that seems pretty bottom-line-ish. You need a 5th gen MBP or newer to get single HDMI cable plug and play for home theater. Alright then.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
As in 'Period. End of discussion. No.' Any threads I see on the internets of people talking about getting audio to HDMI via DVI are full of it and just making stuff up?

hdmi via dvi works, just no audio out.

HDMI = video + audio
DVI = video only

----------

Well, that seems pretty bottom-line-ish. You need a 5th gen MBP or newer to get single HDMI cable plug and play for home theater. Alright then.

yeah, but 3.5" -> RCA works fine and you get audio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.