Audio Playback via Mac Achieving the Best Possible Sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lady Clara, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Lady Clara macrumors newbie

Hi Forum,

I've always used a computer to listen to my music (or iPod) I can't imagine using anything else. So I'm trying to improve the sound quality of my Mac Mini.

Currently I use iTunes for my media playback and to be honest I like it. I've always used it and although I've flirted with other media players I've always returned to iTunes.

My music is ripped from source using dBpoweramp to AIFF. and checked with PerfectTUNES (on PC but dBpoweramp is coming to Mac!). :apple:

I have an external headphone amp and my current headphones a pair of Sennheiser Momentum M2s (the wireless ones) have their own amp apparently and make my headphone amp redundant while I'm using them.

I know of "BitPerfect" mentioned in another one of my threads (haven't tried it yet) and "Amarra" from Sonic Studios (I have tried this either).

I'd really like to know what software you use for audio playback and if there are any additional apps involved. If you have any gadgets you feel the need to mention your more than welcome. :)

Just FYI speakers are not an option for me atm but feel free to post about yours I can always dream. :)

Schönen Dank,

Clara x

2. jack1011 macrumors member

I use Boom. It's not free, but there's a free trial so you can see if you like it. It enhances the volume and has an equalizer. I'm not an audiophile (I initially got it just so the sound would be louder), but I've found that using the Equalizer with the "Fidelity" effect really makes the music sound better. I would also recommend turning the Fidelity effect back off if you are watching a movie.

Also, iTunes has "Sound Enhancer" in the Settings; it seems to help a little as well.

3. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

4. HDFan macrumors 6502

If you want to play DSD audio via iTunes you might want to consider Pure Music. Extremely powerful. Expensive.

5. MacUser09 macrumors regular

I use a Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS on my MB Air with my Klipsch X11's, to improve audio output.