Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenisK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Cheers to all! Here is whats happening: my 3 y.o. 15 MBP is connected to external speakers (Bose MusicMonitor) and every time there is a sound, any system sound, say an email in, a volume chirp, or a Skype chirp, anything at all, I hear an audible POP, before hearing the actual sound, in fact the POP sort of overlays the sound. I hear the second POP sometimes, after the sound has sounded, so to speak, and sometimes the second one does not happen at all. To me it reminds me of the Pioneer Amp my dad used to have in the 70's, when you first turn that thing on, it would produce an audible POP. So, back to to this, it sounds like an amplifier POP by being awaken by the system, and I'm inclined to think it is the MBP's audio "amplifier" on its board. Oh, btw, both the speakers and the MBP's volume is set to low. Thanks in advance!

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
It's one of two things -

1. The sound chip "waking up." This is normal.
2. The speaker system/logic board has some type of defect and needs to be replaced.

I had the same exact issue and it turned out to be the logic board and speaker system. Had to send it in to be replaced.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
OS X turns off the internal soundcard 30 seconds after it's been used. The first pop you hear is from the card being turned on. The second pop is the card being turned off if no sound has been played for 30 seconds.

It's not nice and should be handled differently, but that's how it goes. :apple:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Glad to help. You are the fourth person to have his/her popping fixed with a link from me.

oisee33

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
Hello

Sorry for digging up this ancient post. I have the same Problem and I also tried to install antipop but it didn't work. I guess it only works for older OS X Versions.

These are my specifications:
MacBook Pro Mid 2015
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

The Problem occurs when I use my Harman Kardon Soundstick speakers via Bluetooth.

I really hope someone can help me. The popping is almost unbearable..

Thanks for any help

Suds

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
NE England
Hello

Sorry for digging up this ancient post. I have the same Problem and I also tried to install antipop but it didn't work. I guess it only works for older OS X Versions.

These are my specifications:
MacBook Pro Mid 2015
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

The Problem occurs when I use my Harman Kardon Soundstick speakers via Bluetooth.

I really hope someone can help me. The popping is almost unbearable..

Thanks for any help
[doublepost=1475922814][/doublepost]I can't believe I'm having to look into this issue again. When I bought my Mac mini back in 2013 it had the infuriating "pop" when the audio hardware turned on and then off. The Antipop app fixed it. When Mavericks was released the problem, for me at least, was fixed - I no longer needed Antipop - hurrah! (I *think* Antipop actually stopped working on Mavericks but I may be wrong about that). Yosemite arrived, no pop... El Capitan arrived, no pop... Sierra arrived a few days ago and the pop is back. What the hell goes through the minds of the developers at Apple. As oisee33 said, Antipop seems to be no longer an option, any suggestions would be very welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.