Audio problem with 10.4.10 update.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by climhazzard85, Jun 20, 2007.

1. climhazzard85 macrumors member

climhazzard85

This was also mentioned on the official apple forums, although no one has come up with any information on a fix. After updating, people (including myself) with Mac Minis have an issue where the sound will pop because the audio is turning on/off like it was trying to save energy. This should NOT be happening on a Mini. Does anyone have ANY idea of how we can fix this? It's pretty annoying to hear a popping every 30 seconds.

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

This is also happening with my external speakers on my MacBook. :confused:

Can you link me with the post over at Apple?

3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

YES! Man, I was hoping I wasn't the only one having this problem. I posted about it in the main 10.4.10 thread. Would LOVE to have a fix. This is just an annoyance, but it's a fairly huge annoyance, IMO. Would love to get a fix for it.

4. codo macrumors 6502

It's happening on my MacBook CD too. It's VERY irritating.

5. RexySF macrumors member

6. itsme92 Guest

This happens to me with my C2D Macbook with External JBL speakers. It's very annoying.:(

7. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

me too on my CD Macbook's internal speakers...no fun!

8. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I guess I can just deal with it until someone comes up with a fix. I can't hear any popping or anything while I'm playing music, so that's good.

9. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Happening on my Mabcook CD as well w/ external speakers.. I thought it was my speakers until i found this thread. I was getting pretty annoyed.

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Hmmm... On a C2D Macbook I'm not experiencing any sort of popping noise with either internal audio or with an external FireWire audio device. Are any you who are (getting random popping sounds) using any sort of 3rd-party "EQ" or "sound enhancer" software?

11. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not.

I've got Bose Companion 2 speakers connected through the headphone jack.

12. stekerrod macrumors regular

SAme with me

My JBL speakers i use with my C2D 20" iMac speakers have been popping as well!

13. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Its happening to me too when I have external speakers plugged in. There's a slight "pop" when audio hasn't been played for awhile.

I'm on a black MacBook 2.16 Core 2 Duo.

14. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

It's also happening on my MBP (2.16 C2D)...using Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 external speakers. I noticed it immediately after rebooting once the 10.4.10 install was done..

15. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Is this "pop" sound happening during playback or when nothing is being played through the speakers? Do you hear it for example when you have speakers plugged in and nothing playing, no iTunes opened but just every few seconds/minutes or does the sound happen intermittently during playing? Does it only happen with external speakers or with internal speakers as well?

16. Fillado macrumors member

It's definitely a 10.4.10 problem, and never happens during playback. I just stopped iTunes and about a minute later there was this "pop" (mostly a slight low thud from the Subwoofer). When I start iTunes back up I get it again just before the music comes in.

This is with external speakers plugged in - i've tried but can't hear it with the internal ones...but since it's a very low sound I didn't expect to.

17. Daniel75 macrumors member

Same here - Macbook Pro C2D 2.33, external speakers. Very annoying:(

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

This "popping thing" is kinda strange. I'm left wondering if it's not limited to just desktop speaker systems since everyone in the thread seems to mention "speakers", etc.

I've worked on a couple of audio projects today on my C2D Macbook, and I happy to say it's not happening on my system... but... I rarely have any reason to monitor from the analog audio output jack on the Macbook. I use a FireWire device for that, and it's as clean of pops and clicks as it was before 10.4.10.

So, just to see... I plugging a set of Sony V7000J headphones directly into my C2D Macbook's headphone jack I'm not hearing any pops at all. This is after staring iTunes, exiting it, and then wearing the headphones for 3 minutes after iTunes was stopped. On restarting iTunes and playing a tune I don't hear a click, pop or or any sudden bursts of noise, etc. The Sonys go down to 5Hz and are efficient enough to crank up to the sound levels loud enough to cause pain off the Macbook's output, so I'd think the pops would be audible...

I don't have a pair of 'consumer' desktop speakers where I'm out to try out right at the moment. But hooking up an adapter from the Macbook's audio jack to a set of Lo-Z cables run straight into a 800 watt power amp connected to a couple of 15" 2-way speakers I don't get any pops after trying the same test at volume levels high enough to shake the floor joists.

Is it possible the desktop speaker system you're using has some sort of circuit built in that automatically cuts the speaker system off after a certain period of no audio input that's perhaps the source of these pops?

19. codo macrumors 6502

It is DEFIANTLY the 10.4.10 update. I have a large pair of HiFi speakers attached to my MacBook's audio out. When there is no sound for, call it 10/15 seconds (I haven't counted), there is simply a "pop" as the audio out is shutdown, the same sound you get if you close the lid on your MacBook and it goes to standby. Play a sound and it pops again as the sound is turned back on.

This was not here pre.10, it is now. All Apple has to do is stop the audio going into this "sleep" like state after a period of inactivity - That's how it's always been, that's how I want it!

If it's not fixed in a few days, I'm rolling back to .9 because its absurd and extremely irritating.

20. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Ok. I've been lurking on here for a few months but only just registered for this.

I thought I had the same problem as all of you until I read this thread. I have a c2d 2.16 MBP and an echo audiofire 4 firewire audio interface. I am getting these popping and clicking sounds too which seemed to start straight after the 10.4.10 update.

I only experience the pops when some sort of audio is playing whether it is in itunes, logic pro, quicktime or whatever. It never happens unless some audio is going through the sound card.

I thought I was in the same situation as all of you but apparently I'm not.

It is an absolute ball-ache. Any ideas?

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well I don't know if it is related, but after installing 10.4.10 Skype was playing up.
    More precisely, the IPEVO phone wasn't recognised. Before the update is was fine.
    After re-installing the Mac drivers all is OK now.

22. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

no problems on my mac, although mine will on very rare occasions make an incredibly loud buzzing sound, like when you unplug a guitar and hold the cable going into the amp

23. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Ahh. I have the same problem with external speakers from the built in audio. About a minute after I close itunes it pops and then just before I play anything it pops again. It is nowhere near as bad as the intermittent popping of my external sound card though. I wonder if the two are related...

Can anyone else with an firewire sound card and the inbuilt audio problems confirm this?

24. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse