Audio problems Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BlackMangoTree, Jul 9, 2011.

1. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

How the hell can Lion have the audio problems from 10.6.8 carried over ? What kind of testing was done, their eyes closed and ears shut.

Apple are really becoming a joke.

2. BlackMangoTree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Who wouldn't be. A Major OS release and audio is not working

3. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

maybe the audio drivers are messed and are not compatible with lion not sure im not a dev :p

4. Squishy Tia macrumors regular

Squishy Tia

The problem in 10.6.8 (and Lion) is that when a digital audio port is used by an app, the port becomes "locked" to that state and no other app can use, or even see the port.

A good example is launching DVD Player, which when selecting the "Digital Out" port will use the Encoded Audio option (to send the DD/DTS bitstream, which cannot be sent when the port is in its regular stereo mode). When exiting the DVD Player, the digital audio port is left in the "Encoded Audio" mode, and you lose all sound output capability. The port remains locked like this until you reboot. No amount of changing or wrangling in the Sound prefpane or Audio Midi Setup will fix it. It's locked for good until a reboot.

And since this happens with ANY app that uses the port, special mode or not, it's a "one app, and that's it" for audio until you restart the computer. And if you play games a lot, that means a LOT of reboots.

So yes, people are very mad at this. It should not be happening and shows a total lack of QA at Apple. Broken audio = half your computer is worthless.

5. Squishy Tia macrumors regular

Squishy Tia

Uh, Lion's audio drivers are not compatible with Lion? That makes...no sense.

6. superm4nny macrumors newbie

This is ridiculous. I wish they would fix this problem already. I sent a bug report for both the 10.6.8 problem and also this one. If you haven't done it yet, I suggest you do so that get see how badly it is affecting us.

https://bugreport.apple.com

7. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Thanks for explaining... almost bought new speakers, glad I searched the forum here first :p Had Traktor pro open and sound was distorted and lagged when listening to bbc radio, but after closing Traktor the sound worked again. So thanks! :)

8. sijk macrumors newbie

Also putting your Mac to sleep may restore the audio. Faster than rebooting but still very annoying. I had this problem since I purchased my Early 2011 MBP.

That was nothing because now the encoded digital audio (5.1) does not work at all on Lion. I have tried both the optical out and hdmi audio, VLC and DVD Player. Before Lion update the encoded audio worked with VLC 1.1.10 but not with 1.1.11. So I'm quite confused about the pile of audio related bugs, someone should include audio output tests to their test suites.

9. billdill macrumors newbie

"That was nothing because now the encoded digital audio (5.1) does not work at all on Lion. I have tried both the optical out and hdmi audio, VLC and DVD Player."

Same here. sometimes it does output stereo via optical output but also sometimes it totally locks up vlc...

lame.

I'm going to keep trying different audio settings.

anyone have any advice?

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! :mad::mad::mad:

;)

11. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Apple today released an updated version of 10.6.8 that, if I understand this correctly:

- System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out

fixes this issue.

This means it'll most likely also find its way to 10.7.1.

12. mayb2 macrumors newbie

Unplugging the speakers from jack also resets it

Unplugging the speakers from jack also resets it 2:)

13. sijk macrumors newbie

14. billdill macrumors newbie

thanks!~

Thank you sijk, XBMC seems to work perfectly, its too late for me to test it but the receiver is accepting DD 5.1 and dts streams now when playing mkv's in xbmc. great until its fixed :)

thank you again for you help :)

15. sijk macrumors newbie