Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

De4dLast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Hey, new to the forums, and hopefully it was me who just didn't look hard enough for a previous thread, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. VV, thanks for any help!

Specs: Intel Imac 20"

The Problem: The audio on any imbedded online video (that generally uses macromedia's flash 8 player), such as Youtube or google video doens't seem to work[edit: also myspace audio]. The video portion is fine, but there is just no audio. The mute button is off, and the sound is up full blast, I've tried closing all other video applications of the sort but still get no sound. It is specifically online videos that don't seem to have audio; itunes, vlc, quicktime, and the sort all work fine so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the speakers.

The thing is when I first got my mac the videos worked fine, it was somewhere in between my second week when it stopped working, I've been to the genius bar about it, but they just told me to take it up directly with Adobe, after the reinstallation of the flash player bore no success. Adobe doesn't know whats up and directed me to apple. :confused:

I've reinstalled OSX which didn't do a thing, the only thing I could think of was maybe interference from Onyx, perhaps deleting some vital piece of a plug-in somewhere, but after confirming with my friend who owns a MBP, our plugin folders seem to match. I've been living for it for awhile, and just figure it will go away, but blind-eyed optimism won't let me hear myspace songs.

I hope this is just some hella easy thing I've overlooked like a button to uncheck or something, because "Garbage Day" just isn't the same without audio :( . Someone please, give me some insight into why I suck at life!

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
When my audio goes it, it just goes out with system sounds. All I do is restart and it comes back. Try restarting and then if that doesn't work, open Garageband. Sorry, that's all the advice I have.

De4dLast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2006
lol

Wow:

When my audio goes it, it just goes out with system sounds. All I do is restart and it comes back. Try restarting and then if that doesn't work, open Garageband. Sorry, that's all the advice I have.

That was like the most helpful post/reply I have ever seen...
Well thanks for bothering with posting that tidbit of functionless information, I mean, I thought by my introductory post I'd made it clear that I would have at least restarted my computer once...:mad:

I'm just kidding, Ohh God I love you. But really, who would have thought of garageband I checked like as many video programs I could, for mplayer has a tendency to jack the volume to the max, but garageband? I guess that makes sense as its primary function IS audio, and now that I think about it, my messing around with garageband paralleled the loss of sound by a given day or two.

The funny thing was though that my garageband sound was only half-way up/down, not all the way down, so for future refrence for anyone experiencing the same problem, garageband volume limit has to be higher than half way! Thanks!!

Macsrockmysocks rock my socks, ty. I'm soo glad that it was just my being retarded that was responsible for loss of sound, not my beautiful shiny imac:D, Thread end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.