Audio problems with OS 10.5.6

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Kenriver, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Kenriver macrumors newbie

Hello, I posted this a few days ago under "OS X" but have had no replys, so thought I would try it here. Thanks:

I recently upgraded to OS 10.5.6 from OS 10.4.11 and I notice a big difference with the audio. Playing any kind of quicktime movie or flash movie causes the audio to cut in and out. And it' snot "simply" the playback, it's the computer's audio itself (no sound beeps when hitting the volume keys). If I go back to my computer after giving up watching a movie, my system sound will more than likely be off-line. If I unplug it from the back and plug it back in, the sound will come up. It will also sporadically give me loud static for short periods when playing back.

This never happened before I upgraded and is now entirely frustrating to try to watch anything online, or even downloaded to my desktop (same thing happens). Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Kendrick

2. paultickle macrumors newbie

similar problem

I was wondering if you had resolved this problem. When i listen to music through headphones on my new mac mini (10.5.6) the sound keeps cutting out. when I unplug the headphones the internal speaker is working fine and when I plug the headphones back in the sound returns again....but not for long.
    cheers, paul

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

I have the same problem with my iMac I'm pretty sure it's noting to do with the software. It think it's just a faulty plug. I don't think much of 3.5mm audio connectors in general. (A good clue about there quality is that you rarely see 3.5mm jacks on pro audio equiment.)

Experimant by pulling different directions on the jack and see if it's not a tiny bit loose.
    It it's loose it could be repaired but Apple does not fix things, they just swap out entire boards. so you pay $1,500 to replace a $0.50 jack. It seems techs who know how to solder have all disappeared.

What a log of people do is buy an USB audio interface. The $35 Griffen iMic is about the quality of apple's built-in audio and you can go up from there without limit.

4. paultickle macrumors newbie

hey ChrisA,

thanks for your input. I find it hard to believe that my problem is a hardware issue but you may be right. I am definitely no expert. I only bought it a couple of weeks ago so could send it back but I am reluctant to do so as I spent so long configuring it.

Sounds like a USB audio interface could be a really good simple fix for my problem so thanks for the advice. Sometimes getting to the root of a problem is not worth it when you can just get around it! ;).

cheers, Paul