Audio quality bad

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by surfer369, Apr 3, 2018.

1. surfer369 macrumors member

I have two soundbars one lg sj9 which connected to Apple TV 4K directly sounds good to me. But when I connect the atv4k to my Nakamichi soundbar it sounds subpar. On my lg soundbar I don’t need to go above 18-20 volume but on my other soundbar even at 50 it doesn’t sound clean and clear.

2. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

Why do you have two for one tv? Soundbars were built to satisfy the house wife who said" you are not putting those big floor speakers in MY living room.....

Attached Files:

3. archer75 macrumors 68020

4. surfer369 thread starter macrumors member

The reason I asked, is because on avs forum the owners of the Nakamichi are very satisfied with their soundbar and the same goes on amazon reviews as well.
    I have two soundbars one for media room and one for the room upstairs. I bought the lg down just to compare.
    I am thinking of piecing together a 5.1.2 setup with a denon 1400h and will be using the ATV4k as the primary media source, Just want to make sure that it works well together with the denon.

IS multi channel PCM better than dolby 5.1?

5. archer75 macrumors 68020

Yes.

I have a denon x3300w and it works fine for me. I have heard of complaints about volume level from others but I have no issues. I suspect something isn't configured right for them.

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Anything different about the connection?

Anything different about soundbar settings?

Have you tried hooking something other than :apple:TV4K up to both to see if one still sounds dramatically better than the other (if, for nothing else, to rule out the :apple:TV and cable).

If you rule everything else out, maybe that LG soundbar is just better than that Nakamichi soundbar? It's almost never a case that all products of any one brand are always better than all products of another brand. Maybe that's a best-rated LG vs. a worst-rated Nakamichi (models)?

And the 18-20 vs. 50 thing doesn't necessarily mean anything. I can toggle a setting on my receiver to show volume in 2 different numerical ways. One of those is positive numbers and the other is negative. But the receiver doesn't sound any different if a positive or negative volume number is showing. Maybe an LG 20 is equal to a Nakamichi 60 as far as volume representation goes? There's no uniform standards in such representations.