Audio Quality Upgrade with 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megalobyte, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

When I had heard Apple say the 3G would have improved audio, being an audiophile, I assumed they meant for audio/music playback and that really appealed to me as I do use my iphone as a source for my pretty decent stereo.

But, I now wonder if they meant better audio with regard to phone usage. I do notice that the audio on phone use is better, and frankly, I don't hear much difference whether I'm using 3G or Edge, but as for music playback audio quality, I do hear a difference, but not one I think is good.

My gen 1 Iphone sounded very good, very neutral when the EQ was off. In fact, sometimes depending on the music, I'd even use the Rock EQ setting, which surprisingly sounded pretty good too.

But, the new 3G sound seems much more in your face, with more glare, it's a harder, harsher sound, and it also seems to have the bass boosted even if you have the EQ off.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

All in all, since I don't use the 3g as a media device so I can't speak as far as music/video volume, but from a phone aspect, I would certainly rate the audio quality of the 3g superior to the 1st gen. iPhone.. whether it's on speaker phone or holding the phone to my ear, I noticed a big improvement right away..

3. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Yes, the 3G is now using the latest Wolfson DACs. A very noticeable improvement from the 1st Gen, especially on a good pair of in-ears.

4. specops macrumors regular

the 3g iPhone has a better speaker and mic.

also I heard from a review site that the 3g has a different sound chip that's a little clearer and crisper. they said it was the same chip that was in the classic.

as for me I think the sound quality is better when I listen to my iPhone on my alpine head unit. sounds just a little more clear to me.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What Hi Fi magazine think the sound quality is better for the 3G, there's a review here.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What kind and are you using the same IEM's as before? I find the SQ to be an improvement (slight) and more natural sounding then the original.