Audio Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by applephanatic, Feb 15, 2012.

1. applephanatic macrumors member

Hey Guys,

So I have a pretty straight forward question, I have an iPad 2 (which I love!) and I also have an iPad 2 dock I bought from Apple; the one with the 30 pin connector in the back for Charging and audio jack on the back for Audio playback.

My question is, what would have better sound quality (would there even be difference) if I used the audio jack on the iPad or if I plugged the audio cable into the back of the dock and essentially had the sound coming through the 30 pin connector.

I have a monster audio cable that I am using with a pair of Audio Engine A5 (great speakers IMPO).

Thanks!:)

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Theoretically, taking audio from the 30-pin connector should give you better sound, because the 30-pin connector transmits more data than the audio jack. Practically, I'd try it both ways and see if you can hear any difference. But in any case, if you are using the dock to charge your iPad anyway, then keeping the audio cable plugged into the dock seems much more convenient than plugging and unplugging the cable from the iPad audio jack every time.