Audio question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by you-of-eh, Aug 1, 2010.

1. you-of-eh macrumors member

Like a lot of you guys I have the 2010 MBP and I'm looking for a MDP to HDMI that supports audio. I don't know much about audio. My question is, what is the difference between A and B..

A] Supports uncompressed audio such as LPCM.

B] Support compressed audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital (including DTS-HD and Dolby True HD)

Some adapters support A and B and some only A. I want to be able to watch DVD's/DVDrips and some youtube videos. What difference will it make if I get one that only supports uncompressed audio?

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If you are connecting it directly to your TV, meaning no receiver or amplifier in between, then you only need uncompressed stereo audio as I am sure your TV only has stereo audio.

The compressed audio formats are generally for multi-speaker setups like 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and beyond where a home theater receiver is used.

3. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

Do a search on either:

A] Amazon or;
    B] Google or;
    C] MRoogle

and see what you come up with.

Word of advice, always search before you ask.

4. you-of-eh thread starter macrumors member

I did search, and I read quite a bit and everything just seemed to confuse me more with all the technical mumbo jumbo i didn't understand. I was looking for a simple answer like kny3twalker gave, so thank you kny3twalker.

5. you-of-eh thread starter macrumors member

I did search, and I read quite a bit and everything just seemed to confuse me more with all the technical mumbo jumbo i didn't understand. I was looking for a simple answer like kny3twalker gave, so thank you kny3twalker.