Audio question

you-of-eh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Like a lot of you guys I have the 2010 MBP and I'm looking for a MDP to HDMI that supports audio. I don't know much about audio. My question is, what is the difference between A and B..

A] Supports uncompressed audio such as LPCM.

B] Support compressed audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital (including DTS-HD and Dolby True HD)

Some adapters support A and B and some only A. I want to be able to watch DVD's/DVDrips and some youtube videos. What difference will it make if I get one that only supports uncompressed audio?

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
If you are connecting it directly to your TV, meaning no receiver or amplifier in between, then you only need uncompressed stereo audio as I am sure your TV only has stereo audio.

The compressed audio formats are generally for multi-speaker setups like 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and beyond where a home theater receiver is used.

eng42ine

macrumors 68000
Like a lot of you guys I have the 2010 MBP and I'm looking for a MDP to HDMI that supports audio. I don't know much about audio. My question is, what is the difference between A and B..

A] Supports uncompressed audio such as LPCM.

B] Support compressed audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital (including DTS-HD and Dolby True HD)

Some adapters support A and B and some only A. I want to be able to watch DVD's/DVDrips and some youtube videos. What difference will it make if I get one that only supports uncompressed audio?
Do a search on either:

A] Amazon or;
B] Google or;
C] MRoogle

and see what you come up with.

Word of advice, always search before you ask.

you-of-eh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I did search, and I read quite a bit and everything just seemed to confuse me more with all the technical mumbo jumbo i didn't understand. I was looking for a simple answer like kny3twalker gave, so thank you kny3twalker.

you-of-eh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I did search, and I read quite a bit and everything just seemed to confuse me more with all the technical mumbo jumbo i didn't understand. I was looking for a simple answer like kny3twalker gave, so thank you kny3twalker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.