Audio Recording DSLR

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by navidsatan, Mar 30, 2014.

1. navidsatan macrumors newbie

Hello everybody.

I hope someone could advise me a bit on this.

We use a Nikon D5200 to record interviews for during the following condition: during both there will be 2 people in front of the camera one who conducts the interview and once interview:

1) In a showroom or office where usually there isn't mush ambient noise.

2) In a maybe like a exhibition centre where there are more ambient noise.

So I think maybe we could use a handheld Microphone maybe? or two lavaliere mics. Maybe , I'm not too sure which one is a better option.

We don't really want to spend a fortune so I hope someone could help me with the setup.

Thanks

2. Policar macrumors 6502a

Generally one lav each and a Schoeps CMC641, Sennheiser MKH50, Oktava MK-012 or the like... supercardiod or gentle hyper so it can pick up two people.

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Lav miss would work well if you can avoid the people shifting around too much and picking up a lot of clothing noise.

A camera mounted Shotgun would likely work decently as well. A boom operator with a pole-mounted camera would be excellent as well.

4. Policar macrumors 6502a

All these on a boom (either a boom arm or a boom pole op, preferably an arm if it's a long interview) of course. On camera... no.

5. ChrisA, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

ChrisA macrumors G4

1) a GOOD lavaliere mic will sound very good but it requires more skill and experience than you think to place it on the person so that it does not pick up clothing noise when they move. It is easier if you can can go outside the clothing and be seen by the camera but still it takes practice. hiding it inside the clothing takes much more practice. Some of the tricks involve tape and how you loop the cord.

2) Hand held mics work but the person holding the microphone needs to know what they are doing. It takes practice to avoid handling rumble, breathing noise and to keep the volume constant. You need a good mic too. You just can't hand a microphone to anyone.

3) A shotgun microphone in a boom is very good but it requires a sound guy to hold the boom and the full setup with mic sound blimp and pole and cable is not cheap. But you have control over everything.

4) the WORST option is a camera mounted microphone. It is simply to far away. But sometimes a news crew, that is all they have. If you have any control of the situation use one of the above options.

5) some times you can hide a microphone, tape it to the rear of a coffee cup or other prop to place it in a plant.

Two general comments (a) use a second recorder for audio, you need one track per microphone. Also let the camera record using it's own mic or a camera mounted mic. The camera mic allows you to sync the external recorder (like a Zoom H4 or whatever.) and (b) ALWAYS use headphones while recording. You need to monitor all the channels.

Then later you mix the sound from the multiple mice.

You don't ant to spend "a fortune" But what is a "fortune". You will likely have to spend as much on audio gear as you did for the camera. But then you have a low cost camera so maybe the audio gear will cost more.

Generally audio is harder to get "right" than video. Many people are surprised when they figure that out.

6. navidsatan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for you replies.

How does this setup sound like:

2x Technica-ATR-3350
    1x Beechteck MCC2
    1x Headphone of course too .

Thanks

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I've had very good results giving a handheld mic to someone with no training at all. First, it really needs to be a dynamic mic designed to be a handheld. A dollar foam windscreen goes a long way. Set low cut off switch to reduce wind-noise/handling noise.

I've seen people use camcorder external mics as handhelds which are much more sensitive to handling noise and breathing.

Even when I used a handheld I admit, I never really thought about doing it correctly, I just used it and it worked out fine.

Its not as bad as you make it out to be.

The worst would be using the built in camera mic. You can get away with an external camcorder/DSLR mic if you get about 4-6 feet away.