Audio Recording/Monitoring Solution for 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whyrichard, Mar 22, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

New 13" macbook pro... one audio jack...

what are the solutions for monitoring audio recording with this machine? bluetooth audio? usb something?

anything else? what are your suggestions?

thanks,

r.

2. archre macrumors member

archre

If you are doing professional recordings you already should be aware that there's no way other than using an external audio interface. Preferably a Firewire interface. USB will also work if latency is no big issue to you.

Internal soundcards and the jacks on notebooks are never anywhere near to being sufficient for any kind of professional audio recording.

3. krimsen macrumors member

Firewire all the way. I use a Mackie Onyx Board for recording multitrack and monitoring. This is still using FW 400 and works very well. At home, I got an Echo Audiofire which is great for home recording, I think.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i am not doing proffessional recordings, just a personal sound project...

what would be the easiest/least expensive solution?

thanks,

r.

5. MacVibe macrumors regular

You haven't mentioned anything about what you want to do. Is it recording a guitar directly? Is it recording vocals or acoustic?

For guitar, you can get a a USB interface for under $50. For vocals or acoustic you probably want stereo mics and a two channel interface- perhaps still $50. The cheapest solution is to just get something off ebay and then put it back on ebay when you are done and you'll just be stuck with a shipping charge and ebay's fees. If you need mics then you'll need to get a couple of those too and make sure your audio interface has phantom voltage if they are condenser mics.

Most interfaces also have direct monitoring out, the cheap ones in the form of a headphone jack.