Audio recording

Discussion in 'iMac' started by taptic, Dec 11, 2012.

1. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Is there an app that would allow all the audio that the computer generates to be recorded? I need the data of the audio. If I just record it playing, it loses it's quality. Does that make any sense what I am asking?

2. califlorida macrumors member

Not sure what you're trying to ask. Please rephrase and I will try to help you as I've been doing Audio on Mac's for 10+ years.

If you're talking about recording some audio source and getting it into the computer, all you need is a high quality digital to analog converter ($2000-$3000) to get the audio signal into the computer with no degradation. If you are talking about getting audio out of the computer, then you will need the same high quality digital to analog converter. This is how a majority of albums are made these days unless they're bouncing to some sort of analog tape.

Now if you're talking about recording the actual sounds that a computer makes while it's running... and converting those blips/bleeps/etc into audio data, I believe there's programs to do this on PC, but not 100% sure how it can be done on the MAC.

Hope that helps

3. OlegPasko macrumors newbie

Did you mean something like "soundflower"?
    After install it you can select your output signal for recording.

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Yes, sound like you need soundflower to me. It basically allows you to record whatever is coming out of the mac's speakers.

5. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Thank you! Exactly what I needed!