Audio recording

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sfen, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Sfen macrumors newbie

Sfen

Hi all,

I was just wondering which is the easiest way to simply record audio, because I'm going to be taking an interview soon and I would like to be able to listen to it again later on. I figured that maybe GarageBand could do this for me, but I couldn't find it. I'm fairly new to Mac OS X in general, so maybe that's the reason why I haven't found a solution myself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Sfen.

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Garageband is a complicated looking software, but Apple touts its capabilities to make recordings for podcasts. Supposedly it even has a function clean out the background noise to some extent as well. Isn't it a matter of just plugging in a microphone and hitting the record button?

I usually use Audacity to digitize my old tapes.

3. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Although it's not free, I've had rock-solid results from Amadeus Pro, and it's very easy to set up and use.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Garageband comes with recent OSX. On the upper right of your screen click the blue magnifiying glasses (spotlight) and type in Garageband

I use Audio Hijack.

5. nanvinnie macrumors regular

6. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I agree with the others here that you should first check out GarageBand, as that is free with newer Macs.

As for myself, I do audio editing in Sound Studio 3, which I picked up in a MacHeist or MacUpdate bundle some months ago. I've played around a little in GarageBand, but most of my serious recording (I compose dance/electronic music as a hobby) is done using Cakewalk SONAR in XP via Boot Camp.

7. Sfen thread starter macrumors newbie

Sfen

I figured out how to open GarageBand, but I just can't get it to do what i want it to, which is simply recording a conversation. Any help, please?

8. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

I too tried this and its not simple; I gave up and used Audacity, which several other people have suggested. If you are going to do a lot of this, Wire Tap Studio is worth investing in. This was one of the reasons I went for the MacHeist bundle.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

Do you have a microphone? How is it connected to the computer? Have you selected the correct audio device in the "audio-mdi setup" app?

What happens in Garage Band when you attempt to record an audio track? You DID click the red record button?

Need to be more specific about what you did, exactly and what happens or not happens. For example do you see the audio waveforms being written tho the screen? Is the track even moving? Have you read the "Gettting Started" section of the user manual?

GB is actually very simple to use but you do have to understand the basic concepts.

10. Sfen thread starter macrumors newbie

Sfen

Okay I think i got it now, I needed to start a new project and select voice instead of the default piano. Thanks everyone.

EDIT: It also works fine with the built in microphone.

11. Sfen thread starter macrumors newbie

Sfen

Actually, I do have another question, does anyone know how to save a GB file as .mp3?

12. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I would either recommend Sound Studio 3.... and/or Final Vinyl...

I know that final vinyl is really for digitising old tapes... but it works great for quick audio recording!!

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9439

Oh... and best of all... it free!!

13. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I believe that when you close a GB file, it will ask you if you want to save your file with an iLife preview. If you say Yes, it will export the file (rendering software instrument tracks into audio on-the-fly as necessary) into iTunes, in whatever default import audio format you've set there. You can convert to MP3 from there if necessary.