Audio selection within MakeMKV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Dave84, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Dave84 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Brand new mac owner here and just registered on this incredibly informative site (please be gentle).

Anyway, I have a couple of questions if i may regarding ripping blu-ray with MakeMKV for use with my Apple TV 3.

I am new to this whole process but after reading through numerous threads on here I think I have got all the main bases covered. However, considering my sole use for the rips (ran through HB ATV3 pre-set after ripping) is for the ATV, when selecting the audio tracks MakeMKV presents after the initial disc scan, do I need to tick the lossless audio (DTS-Master etc) or can i just select the DTS 3.2.1 core? I believe the ATV is unable to decipher the HD audio streams regardless but wondered if just selecting the core audio reduces files size and/or ripping time by MakeMKV? If the difference negligable I will continue ripping the lossless track (currently ripped around 6 blu rays).

I hope the above makes sense and if anyone can answer I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

2. mic j macrumors 68030

Just check the DTS-HD. The core is contained in it and HB will use that to transcode to Dolby Digital. It's also a good idea if you archiving the mkv as all the original info will be there.

If you haven't done it already, I would also suggest you set the minimum track length to 1500 seconds. This will eliminate many tracks and make track selection easier.

3. Dave84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for the quick response. If the choice of lossless does not effect rip time I shall do as you advise.

I am more than happy with the results I have had so far with regards video quality but just needed a little reassurance on the audio. Only thing now left to get my head round is subtitles (seems somewhat of a dark art). I have just been selecting all the English "forced only" boxes in MakeMKV and then running the "Foreign Audio Search" when putting through HB. I believe there are some blu-rays which will prove tricky to sort. All I require is the foreign/alien subtitles but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

And I did change the minimum track length after reading one of your earlier posts in addition to the "web optimised" tick-box within HB so cheers for the heads up. :)

4. mic j macrumors 68030

Sounds like you've done your homework! I think rip time difference will be insignificant. And HB transcode will be unchanged at is uses core audio anyway.

You are right on the mark with subtitles. What makes forced subs difficult is there is not standardization from studio to studio on how flags are set, forced subs are incorporated (separate track, imbedded, flagged, etc). So the way you are doing it is a good base to build off of. Then, if you run into a problem that HB doesn't find the forced sub (their algorithm is very good but not perfect), you can pull the movie into VLC, ff to a part that has forced subs, note the track that is checked, then go back to HB and select that track instead of using foreign audio search. That should cover 99.9% of the movies you will work on. Then there are the 0.1% that are just a bear to figure out. Hopefully you won't encounter those. But if you do, post here and I and others will do what we can to help.

Good job!!!

5. blanka macrumors 68000

Just get a HDMI cable from your brand new mac to the TV and stop the AppleTV crap.
    - Your Mac plays the MKV subtracted from the BR directly
    - Your Mac allows 24Hz output for watching the movies judder-free (although it might be hard to get this working on iMacs which are not intented to run without the internal display turned on).
    - You can play the HD audio streams without problems (XBMC for example just delivers the 1536Kbps core to your receiver).
    - No lengthy Handbrake conversions. Copying the data from the BR already takes enough time.

Apple TV is basically a flawed wireless HDMI cable for people frightened to roll out some wires.