Audio set up for wedding

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macdvuser, Jul 11, 2008.

1. macdvuser macrumors newbie

I am going to be filming my brothers wedding registration ceremony and will be using one canon xh-a1.(They are using professionals for the reception and religious ceremony).
    I just needed some advice on the audio recording side of the project. There will be a registrar and the couple. I haven't actually bought any audio equipment yet, so wanted to do some research and buy the best possible microphone(s).
    I was thinking that maybe one shotgun mic would do, set up on a boom pole and stand.
    Some of the mics I've been looking at:
    All sony ecm mics
    sennheiser me-66
    rode ntg-1
    Any advice on possible microphones are very much appreciated.

2. Barry N macrumors member

Barry N

Coming from a background in television audio, I would also suggest taking a look at Audio Technica shotgun mics. If your mixer or camera supplies phantom power you can use them. If not you have to use battery power. They are good mics. Another thing to remember is that if you are using a wind screen on them,make sure you don't push the mic all the way into the wind sock,leave at least 1"-1 1/2 inch space at the top. And please promise me you won't let anyone blow into a mic to test them:eek:. The best way to test is to actually talk into them..afterall isn't that what a mic was designed to do.

Have fun :)

3. macdvuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. My camcorder can supply phantom power. Can you recommend any Audio Technica mics.
    thanks for all the help

4. Barry N macrumors member

Barry N

Without knowing how much you want to spend & if this is just a one-time video project for you, here is a page from their on-line catalogue with prices. Their prices have increased since I bought some[but then what hasn't gone up ] :eek:

Have a look,and decide what you want to spend. If the prices scare you away, I know that in some major cities you might be able to find a source for rental of audio gear. Don't also forget that these mics use XLR connectors--hopefully your cam has this type of inputs.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-b..._by_type.pl?product_type=Microphones:+Shotgun

5. seany916 macrumors 6502

Senn MVH416 isn't bad, but our AT 4073a are the best shotgun mic for the money from the ones we've tested.