Audio Set up will this work.....

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by joe597, Mar 5, 2011.

1. joe597 macrumors newbie

joe597

i'm trying to reocrd music on my iMac,

the setup i was going for was

Guitar>>AMP>>Shure SM57 mic>>Gutar Rig Mobile>> iMac/Garageband

Just wondering if anyone else has this setup and what setting sto select to get guitar rig/garageband to pick up the exact sound that's coming from the amp/shure sm57 mic

2. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

The guitar rig mobile is designed to DI your guitar straight into your computer, the output from a mic, especially a dynamic mic like the Shure will be considerably quieter and if you simply crack up the input on the GRmobile you'll probably find that everything gets very noisy.

Have you tried this set-up yet? if so what issues if any are you having?

You may need to get a separate mic pre amp, but then that will give you a line level, which is probably going to be too hot for your input.

3. joe597 thread starter macrumors newbie

joe597

no not yet, thought i'd run it by this forum first, i do already own guitar rig, but no the mic/preamp. Ideally what i'm looking to do is set up my own youtube page with video and also music of me playing.

The plan is to use the new ipad 2 to record myself in HD,but i've a rather expensive mesa boogie rectifier amp so would like to capture its sound and not a distortion created by garageband, i just want to use garage band for recording and editing the track to fit with the video.

Can you recommond a decent preamp?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think what you're really after is an interface, not just a preamp. that'll give you a/d conversion for recording, and d/a conversion for monitoring. look here for an idea of what's available.

for laptop recording, you'd want one with either a USB or firewire interface. not sure how you'd hook up something like this to an ipad, though.