Audio Skipping in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr Gavoni, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mr Gavoni macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I have a MB Pro 2012, 15'', normal display with 8GB RAM, 512 Crucial SSD drive for the system and a 512 HDD instead of the optical drive, so I can enjoy a good Tera of space, half of which is lightning-fast.

The hardware seems to be excellent, so I am starting to suspect that the newer systems present problems.

One specific problem that I noticed on several occasions is the sound. When I am playing back some music, no matter from which drive, the sound sometimes skips (halts) for a fraction of a second, every two-three minutes or so. I ran all the tests for hardware with the ASD3S150 disk image on a USB stick: no hardware problems detected, memory is tip-top, sound card is fine. And in fact, when I use Windows (installed on the Boot Camp partition), the machine PURRS... and everything works like a charm.

Shouldn't Mountain Lion load the song on the RAM, if not entirely at least a few Mega's of buffer, so even if the connection with the drive is interrupted it can play on smoothly? I am really perplexed. And increasingly disappointed in Apple.

I am thinking of downgrading to Snow Leopard and checking what happens there. Any other suggestions?

2. johnmarch macrumors newbie

This worked for me

I have the same computer and I was having the same issue. I discovered this suggestion on another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1414451):

"This issue can be cured by simply unchecking the 'Automatic graphic switching' option in energy saver option within system preferences. It's the integrated graphics causing the stutter for some reason."

So far this has worked for me, but it looks like this is only an option for people with Macbooks, not iMacs, because it is an energy saving feature for laptops.