Audio Skipping/Jumping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conch575, Mar 20, 2012.

1. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

It's been a while since I've used iTunes, so today when I fired up iTunes, I was surprised that the music I was playing was skipping/and jumping every couple of seconds. These songs were either downloaded from the iTunes store, downloaded via other means or ripped from CDs. No matter where the music was from, it would skip! I tried playing the same songs on my iPhone, but they didn't skip.

This has been happening for a couple weeks now, because last time I used iTunes it did the same thing. As far as I know it only happens when playing audio in iTunes.

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro (which is just under a month out of warranty, surprise surprise! Luckily I bought AppleCare!)

This is the second Macbook that I've owned, but it seems that this one has lots of problems, more than what I encountered with the last. All this computer does is freeze and crash -.-

SPECS:

Lion (biggest regret!) 10.7.3
    2.2GHz Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

2. shootist macrumors regular

How loud did you have the volume turn up? If it was near or close to full volume this can cause the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) to kick in cause the HDD to stop functioning causing the skips. If it wasn't turned up that loud then I have no idea.

3. conch575 thread starter macrumors 6502

conch575

Yeah it was almost at full (I was listening from the other room).. I had no idea that happened! Why does it do that?

4. shootist macrumors regular

Because the SMS senses the vibrations from the speakers and interprets it as the system is moving suddenly and Docks the HDD heads.

You could try turning off the SMS so this doesn't happen but then if the system moved suddenly it could cause the HDD heads to crash into the platters.