Audio stops working on 2016 MBP until reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eekcat, Dec 1, 2016.

1. eekcat macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else have this issue where the audio/sound stops working on their new 2016 MacBook Pro until it's rebooted?

I've checked the audio output device to ensure that the right one is selected, nothing is occupying the headphone jack, it's not sending via airplay, and neither the app(s) nor the MBP are muted. The volume icon still shows as if it's supposed to be working, but there's just no sound. Plugging in headphones or changing to another output device doesn't help either.

This seems to be happening on the laptop waking from sleep, though I'm not certain.

2. fotoflux macrumors newbie

that happened to me once. I ran a command to kill the core audio process, but I don't have the command on hand. Once the process was killed, it was re-spawned and I had audio again, but the volume buttons didn't work.

3. konstantin macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, usually after the MacBook was asleep for a couple of hours. No headphones that I try have sound. I have not found a solution yet (besides a reboot, which is very annoying).

Any ideas?

4. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

This is a new bug, i add it to my bug list/check list. Thanks for sharing!

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Happened on my 2013 rMBP. It's not a bug unique to the 2016 models.

6. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

Never happened on my 2013 rMBP and 2015 rMBP... o_O

7. neil218 macrumors newbie

Very common issue, especially with external display.

But it can be fixed without rebooting the machine.
    Execute the following command in Terminal

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod.plist && sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.audio.coreaudiod.plist

Source: http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...diod-made-it-so-i-dont-have-any-volume-at-all

It works very well.

8. jerryk macrumors 68020

Never occurred with my 2015 15" rMBP. Either when running dual external monitors or on only retina display.

9. friednoodles macrumors regular

I've been hitting this bug a few times recently on a 2016 rMBP, where the audio output from the internal speakers stops working completely after it's been asleep. Output over BT devices like AirPods works, but the internal speakers don't. Thankfully, the Terminal command mentioned by neil218 works a treat to fix the issue without needing to reboot! Now Apple just has to fix the bug...

10. Daranx macrumors regular

Daranx

Happened to me yesterday, I tried to play some music through iTunes but couldn't hear anything so ended up restarting and it worked after that.