Audio Storage Capacity Overstated?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by youai779, Jan 20, 2012.

1. youai779 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am at odds end with this problem as I am trying to free up some hard rive space as my MBP is nearly 3 years old and its getting a bit sluggish and I think this may partly be due to the 7GB of free space or less it operates with.

My concern is that in the "About this Mac" - "Storage" it reads I have 81.85GB of Audio but in my iTunes it says I only have 45.75GB of Music. Is it normal for this to be over stated with such a difference?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible you have the bottom checkbox checked in iTunes > Preferences:
    [​IMG]
    Which would mean when you add music to your iTunes library, it copies it. If you haven't deleted the original files, you have duplicates on your computer.

3. youai779 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have it checked but I generally delete the music files after I have added them into iTunes. I can't find any duplicates. Is there a way to see ALL audio type files on a mac?

Cheers

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sure, with a search in Finder:
    ScreenCap 6.PNG
    For clarification, I meant duplicates on your hard drive, not duplicates in iTunes.

5. youai779 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I searched all audio files on my HD and its returned 47.45GB of audio files. My iTunes is showing 45.75GB so I can understand there may be a few audio files not added to the iTunes folder for whatever reason.

My storage information under "About this Mac" is still showing 81.85GB. From what I understand i am not able to see the 20GB of "Audio" files on my HD somewhere?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The other audio may be related to Garageband, system sounds and text-to-speech voices.