Audio sync drift problem with type 1 AVI files in Quicktime

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JohnMR, Aug 19, 2010.

1. JohnMR macrumors newbie

I have some 1-hour (~13GB) AVI (type 1) files. When I play them in Quicktime on my Mac (OS X) the audio is in sync at the start of the movie, but gets increasingly out of sync as it progresses. The exact same file played using Windows Media Player on my PC does not demonstrate any audio drift at all.

I am very confused by this, given that the reason I'm using type 1 avi files is that they (unlike type 2 avi files) aren't supposed to have audio sync problem since they have the audio stored with the video frames. I can't see how things are getting out of sync. When I load the file into Premiere Pro CS3, the audio is synced fine (but I have to wait 10-15 minutes for the audio to first be conformed).

I've tried playing the files on VLC, but it won't play them correctly.

Basically, I just want to be able to preview my avi files on my Mac without having any sync problems. Quicktime can't seem to do that. Does anybody have a suggestion for an app that can, or have any idea how to get Quicktime to behave with large video files?

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

AVI is a [suckie] container format, not a file format. AVIs may may contain separate video and audio tracks in a number of different formats. What are the formats of your audio and video tracks?

BTW, if you don't have the Perian codec suite installed, then download and install it.

3. JohnMR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Mister Me.

Sorry, I neglected to mention that the files are DV-AVI format. I used WinDV on my PC to transfer DV videos from my camcorder. WinDV lets you create either type 1 or type 2 DV-AVI files. I chose type 1 so that there would only be a single multiplexed Audio-Video track. I had previously been transferring them using type 2, but had trouble with drift (even on my PC), a problem I've seen mentioned in other forums.

Thanks, too, for the suggestion to install the Perian codec. I did so in order to add the "Save as MOV" feature on QT. Unfortunately, when I tried saving the DV-AVI files as MOV, the drift problem continued--and the files became twice as large!

Does anybody have any idea why it would be that even DV-AVI type 2 files that have little or no audio drift problem when played back using QT on my Mac, display significant drift when converted to type 1 files. This is exactly the reverse of what one should expect, right?

More importantly does anybody have any suggestions for how to solve this (i.e. for how I can quickly/easily view large DV-AVI files on my Mac without experiencing the audio drift)?

4. mbone macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem....any advice is greatly appreciated.