Audio sync problems with ripped movies

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dmylrea, Nov 15, 2013.

1. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

I've been picking up some low-price blu-ray discs and am using software to rip the movie title to a 1080p MP4 file. The MP4 plays perfect when played on my Nook HD+ tablet, on my Windows PC, and when streamed directly to my DNLA-ready Panasonic TV.

However, when I try to play the same files on my iPhone 5, iPad 3 or stream to a TV using Apple TV and home sharing (basically any Apple device), the audio track leads the video by a bit. Enough to really be distracting and almost unwatchable. Even using non-Apple apps on my iPhone to play them has the same effect.

What am I doing wrong? (I tried searching this forum but seems like search is disabled).

Thanks.

2. joebalazek macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem.

I recently moved and set my home theater and network back up last weekend. Since then, the audio has been out of sync.

Can't figure it out.

3. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68000

dmylrea

Even on the same PC, same MP4 video, Windows media player is good, but QT Player is badly out of sync with the audio track.

4. kolax macrumors G3

What profile/settings did you use to rip it to mp4?

Have you tried VLC Player on your iPhone?

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

And the most important question : what software?
    Also - is OP sure, the various devices play back the same audio track?
    I know Elgato Turbo software had a nasty habit to make AC3 (surround) track slowly fade out of sync during playback. The AAC (stereo) track was OK. This got fixed only in the latest version of the app.
    But it made audio to fall behind the picture, not the other way around.

PS I've not seen such problems with movies I convert with HandBrake.

6. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68000

dmylrea

First, I do my blu-ray ripping on a Windows PC. I use a program called DVD Catalyst 4 (very nice program, btw) on either the blu-ray disc directly, or on a MKV file of the disc (using MakeMKV).

With regards to the audio track, I believe DVD Catalyst always encodes to a stereo track by default, regardless of the source. But typically, there is a lossless type track (FLAC or TrueHD) and a "3/2+1, DCA" track. I use the latter.

I believe there is only one audio track on anything output from DVD Catalyst, so I don't have a choice. I know when I was streaming from my Apple TV via home sharing, I tried to change the audio track (I had read other with this problem would change the audio track to fix the sync), but there was only one.

With regards to Handbrake, there are people who complain the same thing and use Handbrake, so not sure that is the fix. Also, the DVD Catalyst author says he tried some movies on his iPad 3 and had no audio problems.