Audio-Technica ATH-M40x won't plug fully into Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tech4all, Sep 6, 2016.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Just got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, but the 3.5mm connector doesn't fit well in the front audio port of my 2008 Mac Pro. Is this a known issue? They fit into my iPod Touch just fine, so I'm sure the issue is the Mac Pro audio port. I have another pair of headphones that fit fine, and the Audio-Technica connector fits fine into another port I have on another pair of speakers.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Could be a difference in the size of the plug itself.

Do you happen to have a "headphone extension cable" around?
    That is to say, a cable that has a male connector on one end, and a female connector on the other?

Plug the new phones into the female end, and the other end into the Mac Pro.
    Does it make a difference?

3. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thanks for the reply, @Fishrrman,

In regards to the "headphone extension cable"...yes, that's exactly what I have from my previous set of headphones. I was able to use that as a fix. The Audio-Technicas plug into the female end of the extension cable, and the extension cable's male end plugs into the front audio port my my Mac Pro.

Thing the thing, and I know I said it in my first post, the Audio-Technicas plug into my iPod Touch and other set of speakers that have a 3.5mm headphone jack perfectly. For some reason the Audio-Technicas don't fit into my Mac Pros port, yet my previous set of headphones do. Odd...

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you found a solution that works, I'd stick with it (even if clunky).

What works... works.

Sometimes it's not worth pulling your hair out, otherwise...

5. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

True. My dad did look at the two 3.5mm connectors on both pairs of headphones and he said part of the connector on Audio-Technicas were at a slightly different size than other pair of headphones, but the problem only occurs with the Mac Pro port...

...I dunno...

Thanks for your suggestion though!