Audio through cinema display (via usb to mini jack?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by erd787, May 30, 2010.

1. erd787 macrumors newbie

I use a Macbook Pro that, when I'm at home, is "docked" to the LED Apple Cinema Display (i.e. all my peripherals go through the USB in the display, so I just have to plug in the power, USB, and mini display port). Unfortunately, if I want audio through my external speakers (Cinema Display speakers aren't very loud), I have to plug that in to my laptop. If I buy a USB-to-mini-jack adaptor and plug that into the monitor, will it solve this problem?

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate any help you guys can offer. My ultimate Mac "home station" is nearly complete, but this mini jack thing has been bothering me.

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I have the same setup and do not have this problem with my bose usb speakers. Maybe it could work with a powered usb hub connected to your display.

3. erd787 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I should clarify that I have nice speakers with mini jack input. I'm not trying to buy a new set of speakers unless the adaptor is more than the $70 or whatever new speakers are gonna cost. I have a powered USB hub (the cinema display USB ports are powered, I could plug it in there).