Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KayT1954

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
I have converted several Quick Time Movie clips into .mov files using Doremisoft Mac Video Converter. Sometimes, when I import them into my Final Cut Express 4.0.1 project only one side of the audio track comes over to the timeline. Other times both sides come over. Under More Info both files show "Audio channels;2". I can't figure out why this is happening. Can anyone help me please?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Is there a reason you did not import the QT clips directly into FCE? Also, have you verified that the clips have audio on both channels? Clips can have 2 channels, with audio only on one.

KayT1954

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
I can't import the clips directly as FCE gives me this message: File Error. 1 file(s) recognized. 0 access denied, 1 unknown. I shot my subject for about an hour using a digital HD video camera. My subject wore a wireless lavalier microphone and I listened to his audio through the camera's earpiece. I stopped shooting occasionally but each time I began again I heard him through the earpiece. I broke the footage into smaller files so it would be easier to work with. As mentioned, in FCE some files on the timeline have 2 channels, some only 1. I also checked the video converting software to confirm "2 channel stereo".
Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 3.43.02 PM.png

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I can't import the clips directly as FCE gives me this message: File Error. 1 file(s) recognized. 0 access denied, 1 unknown. I shot my subject for about an hour using a digital HD video camera. My subject wore a wireless lavalier microphone and I listened to his audio through the camera's earpiece. I stopped shooting occasionally but each time I began again I heard him through the earpiece. I broke the footage into smaller files so it would be easier to work with. As mentioned, in FCE some files on the timeline have 2 channels, some only 1. I also checked the video converting software to confirm "2 channel stereo".
View attachment 595718

Hard to diagnose remotely, but a couple of thoughts. First, is the lav a dual-mic set up? If it's only a single mic, then there's probably only one audio channel signal. When I use this set up, I have to dupe the channel in post. You can try using something else to convert the format - Handbrake/VLC (HB requires VLC - both are free).

Last edited:

KayT1954

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Kohlson, thanks for trying.
The camera has a dual mic set up but on this project I only had one mic on. Regardless, the inconsistency of sometimes the audio being two channels and sometimes one doesn't make sense to me.
I shot the subject for several minutes, and either paused or stopped recording periodically. Viewing the SD card on the computer I see the various clips. I converted a long clip using the above software, then trimmed that clip into a smaller section. I repeated this step using the original converted clip for several more trimmed sections. I know the first trim has stereo (two channels). Not sure, but I think the subsequent trims do not. Could multiple trims be the culprit?

RE; Duping the channel, In FCE I tried splitting the mono track in half on the timeline, dragging the second half below it, then expanding them both so they were they same length and in sync with the video. In playing the clip however, the audio is still only on one side. What am I missing here?

Thanks, Kay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.