Audio tracks in IMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JaneTsv, Apr 18, 2010.

1. JaneTsv macrumors newbie

Hi people, I am only starting with video editing, and I use IMovie, also have Final Cut but I decided to start with IMovie first, and the main problem I am having are with sound - IMovie unlike Final Cut doesn't show both audio tracks you have (my camera records 2 audio channels, one has more voice, the other - more background noise), so you can't work with them separately. And very often I need to mute one of the other. Other than then IMovie suits me really well, so the question is - what's the best way to deal with this problem - the only idea I have is import video to Final Cut, work on sound, then export and import back to IMovie, but it's kind of complicated and I am sure this will lead to loss of quality as I will have to process movie to different formats to do that, right? So is there any other way?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Unfortunately, iMovie, especially 8 and 9, is extremely limited in it's ability to work with sound. Final Cut will be your answer.

3. JaneTsv thread starter macrumors newbie

merging

Ok, thanks... One more thing - can I merge two clips into one (in IMov)? It lets you split the clips, but I can't find how to merge them - to use precise editor (as it lets youcwork with only two clips)

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, although it won't physically make one clip out of two. Import your clips then export as a Quicktime or movie file and they will be joined.

5. JaneTsv thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds like a complicated way to do that... thanks anyway)

6. spice weasel macrumors 65816

There's really no reason to merge two clips anyway. Just sequence them the way you want and they are effectively merged.

7. JaneTsv thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I didn't understand how IMovie works, but I wanted to merge clips so that I could open precise editor and be able to see more - if I break clips for editing (turn off music etc) I might have a lot of small, like 1-sec clips as a result and to continue working on them I need to merge them together. tell me what I didn't get right...
    Also, is there any way to make music louder or quieter in one clip? If I want it to start louder etc, interlace voice with music etc? Breaking the clip doesn't always help - there is a small pause between the clips so the music doesn't sound good.