Audio tracks

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Illmetaphor, May 1, 2009.

1. Illmetaphor macrumors member

This is probably a dumb question..but Ill ask anyway.

Is there a way to convert two stereo tracks to 4 separate tracks? I want to use a movie trailers audio track as my background music for this video project I'm working on. The problem is...I want to cut out some of the dialougue.

2. Mattaut macrumors regular

I don't think separating the stereo track into L and R mono tracks will allow you to edit out the dialogue, both the music and dialogue would probably still be on each track(unless only music is on the left and only dialogue is on the right in the original, which I doubt). Did you try and search for the song by itself? Read the credits of the movie and find out who composed it and what the song is titled and maybe theres a version of the song without the dialogue out there.

3. Illmetaphor thread starter macrumors member

Its not a song that I want to use...its all the audio tracks...excluding bits and pieces of dialogue.

Do you think its possible to get the footage in HD (audio would be 8 tracks) and edit the dialogue out that way???

4. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

So you want to use the score and the sound effects? and some of the dialog? If you have a surround mix, the center channel is sometimes reserved for just dialog, so I would try getting it from there first.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think the above leaves off an important step. You want to add that center channel out of phase to the left and right channels to remove the dialog from them. I'd bet there is some dialog at reduced levels in the left and right channels.

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Could be. I guess it depends on the mix though, because most of the TV/Movie surround mixes I have heard had dialog only coming from the center speaker unless it was an effect of someone coming from the side or something. If there is dialog in the left and right channels, your way would be the way to go. You'd just have to get the levels just right.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Standard movie mixing into 5.1 has dialog in the centre channel, and only very rarely in the other channels for special effects.

There may well be foley and music cues in the centre channel too, but you only know if you can get hold of the 5.1.

Some rippers will extract the audio to separate channels, DVDxDVPro does, but it's a pay app.

Extracting from a DVD will give you an audio stream at the quality of AC3, which is 480Kbp/s, or slightly better than MP3, I have no idea how you go about extracting the HD audio streams form a Blu-ray disc for example.

8. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

He could always go the (much more complicated) analog route with an interface and a 5.1 receiver.