audio/video geeks using latest Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ThirteenXIII, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

not 100% sure where to put this question...but im converting my physical DVDs with mac The Ripper to create a raw DVD rip and then use handbrake to create an iTunes file to distribute via iTunes on my various macs and iPods.

I'm looking at getting the highest video & audio quality (space is not an issue)

but i notice when i ripped from the raw dvd rip form MacTheRipper to m4v h264 in Handbrake; the video quality looks pretty solid, however the audio sounds alittle lower and not as high quality as the dvd rip.

kind of like it took quite a bit of a hit.

so im wondering if anyone knew how to preserve each audio & video when converting to m4v from dvd rips?

here is result of a conversion;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. iFirmware macrumors newbie

increase the audio bitrate, its one of those things you've just gotta experiment with

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks alot for the input.
    Asking questions at the handbrake forum is just too slow for me. (im not sure if its im a new registered user or what for them to be approved)

at any rate, i figured out a few glitches and my next concern was dealing with fairly large films

im backing up my entire dvd collection and so far most of them have gone over without a hitch...im just stuck on a couple right now, probabyl due to file size.

I'm working on Forest Gump which is a single disc DVD but when it was ripped using MTR its almost shy of 8GB
    What would the optimal settings for that movie be set to?
    i usually set all my audio bitrate to 320Kbps and leave all the Apple universal settings as is.

because i ran into problems with the movie saving private ryan (which was about ~8GB or so with the source file rip), which would not work in iTunes, QTx or 7, VLC, i had everything set to default using the Apple Universal preset. but when i bumped the audio bitrate to 320Kbps it would do the entire encoding but wouldnt work and the file size was 4.35~GB now i decreased it to 224Kbps and now it plays flawlessly and is only 4.23GB

So im trying for optimal audio & video settings and being able to work on iTunes & AppleTV (once i pick one up in the near future)

so does anyone have experience with such large movie files?
    the best way to preserve them while encoding?

I think it really starts to weigh alot with the Audio bitrate so im not sure if im doing it right by upping it to 320Kbps or if 160Kbps (default would be fine as well.

since all the other encodes i've done are set at 320Kbps and all playback flawlessly on itunes, qtx & ipod touch 1st gen