Audio/Video Receivers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by danny_w, Jan 4, 2008.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I know this may not be the best place for this, but I am wanting to upgrade my A/V receiver and need some advice. I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5150 that I bought about 9 years ago when I built my system, but it has very limited s-video and digital audio inputs that are not assignable, and has no component inputs. I am very interested in the Onkyo TX-SR605; it seems to be the best value currently on the market, and has some features such as HDMI 1.3a which I don't currently need but look good for future proofing the unit. I primarily want component, s-video, and digital audio that are assignable (can be mixed and matched). I would also very much like video upconversion to component (hdmi is an extra that might be nice for the future). Auto speaker setup and OSD would also be nice. The Onkyo seems to have all of this and more at a good price.

What concerns me about both Onkyo and Denon is reliability. I have not had a second's trouble with my Yamaha in over 9 years, but I have read numerous posts of reliability problems with both Onkyo and Denon (which seem to be very similar and makes me wonder if they are really the same company now). I have also heard of a lot of reliability problems with H/K receivers (the H/K 247 is another consideration). I know that one sample does not mean much statistically, but it a=does make me wonder.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

What's your budget? The Onkyo is feature, not quality, driven, and your existing Yamaha is likely to sound better (believe it or not).

At the less expensive end, I'd shoot for a Denon or a NAD, if you can step up somewhat, the Rotel RSX-1057 7.1 sounds terrific--and Rotel is probably the most reliable affordable brand out there. (I sold it for years and the brand has a well-deserved reputation for reliability and quality.)

Hope that helps!

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of exactly that with the Onkyo. I was also looking at the Denon 1708/1908 (and older 1707/1907), but had read a lot of owner reviews that talked about reliability issues and overly-complex setup (although the manuals look very clear and detailed to me). I'm afraid the NAD and Rotel are out of my price range, and I don't know if the NAD is even available in the US (I never heard of it until recently). I was looking at something in the $400-$600 range (the less expensive the better, of course - the Denon 1707/1907 are available for just over $200/$300). Unfortunately the Yamahas seem to be a little behind the curve technically right now, and the features that I want cost too much in the Yamaha line. I wish that somebody made a non-HDMI receiver with everything that I want, and it should be cheaper as well. Right now I am leaning toward the Denon 1707 or 1907, but I can't find a description of the differences.

4. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

for NAD check spearit sound for a better price they are an authorized NAD refurb dealer that sell with a NAD warranty at a greatly discounted price
    http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm
    http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/T753.asp
    nad makes great stuff that is well respected for its sound quality and true power ratings that will typically blow away anything from harmon, denon, pioneer, sony, yamaha, etc
    and have a look at a lower end pioneer elite receiver
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/EliteReceivers/ci.VSX-90TXV.Kuro

which ever receiver you buy if you go to a mom and pop home theatre shop instead of a big box retailer you can typically get a much better price

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the links, I'll check into them. Unfortunately I don't think there are any good ht or audio stores around here anymore (Austin, TX). High Fidelity used to be a good store, but it is long gone.

6. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

from looking at the denon page the main differences between the two are 10 watts more per channel for the 1907 along with a digital out, and outputs for each channel if you want more power later, and one more digital input
    the 1707 doesnt have a digital out and only has a sub output
    http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3254.asp

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3253.asp

7. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I just ordered a Denon 1707, and it should be here in about a week. I expect it is so cheap now b/c (besides being last year's model) it doesn't have any hdmi connectivity at all and the new model 1708 does have. Since i don't have an hdtv at all (much less hdmi) I won't be missing anything, and by the time I do finally upgrade to an hdtv in a few years I'm sure the standards will have changed again. It has everything that I need and then some, and will be my first Denon.