Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yus0f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Hello
Good Day to all mac users

my audio doesnt work. the volume option on the top right is grayed out. if i click it, i cant unmute it. if i press the increase or decrease volume, doesnt work either. i dont know what i have done to get this problem. as i remembered, i only updated my bittorent and cleanapp applications. after that, i just noticed that the volume is now on mute.

Here are the t/s i have done.

(i havent tried to unplug the battery yet)
1.shutdown
2.force shutdown
3.smc and pram reset
4.repair permissions
5.went to sound in system pref, output volume is set to "built-in" which is correct, but volume adjuster grayed out as well.
6.didn't turn on laptop for a day

Hope i can get a solution.
thanks!

yus0f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
something strange happened btw. i slept overnight, and turned on the laptop when i got up. the audio was still grayed out. but when i checked software updates, the audio came back. i tried to play a music and it did. but whats strange is that, you can see the volume option on the right side change how many bars it has. it was 3am that time and decrease the volume to only 2bars, while the music was playing, you can see the volume option gaining volume bars but the music stops for a while. it will go back to 2 bars and the music continued. then suddenly the volume option grayed out again. i installed the updates but volume is still on mute. :(

yus0f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Hello
Good Day to all mac users

my audio doesnt work. the volume option on the top right is grayed out. if i click it, i cant unmute it. if i press the increase or decrease volume, doesnt work either. i dont know what i have done to get this problem. as i remembered, i only updated my bittorent and cleanapp applications. after that, i just noticed that the volume is now on mute.

Here are the t/s i have done.

(i havent tried to unplug the battery yet)
1.shutdown
2.force shutdown
3.smc and pram reset
4.repair permissions
5.went to sound in system pref, output volume is set to "built-in" which is correct, but volume adjuster grayed out as well.
6.didn't turn on laptop for a day

Hope i can get a solution.
thanks!

wew, after a long time of research, ive found the right solution. got it from this website - http://www.wombatnation.com/2010/07/os-x-sound-wont-unmute#comments

if anyone will have this problem, please try to follow the troubleshooting provided on the link. :D

blah1234

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2016
wew, after a long time of research, ive found the right solution. got it from this website - http://www.wombatnation.com/2010/07/os-x-sound-wont-unmute#comments

if anyone will have this problem, please try to follow the troubleshooting provided on the link. :D
[doublepost=1457826641][/doublepost]

I can't click on that link, can you please tell me what you did to fix the problem. I have literally the same exact problem.

HeidiWiggy

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
[doublepost=1457826641][/doublepost]

I can't click on that link, can you please tell me what you did to fix the problem. I have literally the same exact problem.

I can't click either and have the same problem - what did you do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.