AUDIO! Would you do this? Trade MBP 2.2 LED for iMac 2.4 24"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iwork4apple, Sep 10, 2007.

1. iwork4apple macrumors newbie

The MBP is better for FCP due to the better GPU, but also has more upgrades for say express slot and raid with FIRMTEK eSata, and more.

However, the iMac will give me a bit more bump with plugins, soft synths, and stuff, the question is, would you do it? Me and the other person agreed to a possible swap my MBP for a 24" iMac and he would throw down some $$ for extra 1 GB of RAM.

What would you do? The MBP if you add a 7200 HD and raid, well that's a pretty neat set up, you could also add a 1900x1440 or 1900x1200 for $399 or so.

What would you do? Read that the older MBP 2.0 and UB logic had 23 REVERBS without a hiccup.

Wondering how many the new ones would get, still can't find the demo song.

Thanks!

The other thing I could do is wait and post again, and know I will get at least $1800 as I have iLife, Iwork, Adobe Web Premium, installed and buy a iMac 2.8 for more horse power via a Apple friend for less than $1600.00.

Thoughts?

What should I do?

Audio first, Video Second. Another friend said he used a G4 and recorded last week a great song with no problems, so don't want to get to caught up.

I will be using EWQLSO (when it comes out UB), VSL, Absynth, DrumCore, etc.

Thanks for help and advice!

2. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

If you are contemplating this trade, you probably don't need the portability factor of the MBP so I say go for it because the extra screen space can really help boost productivity imo.

3. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you're thinking the benefits of the iMac will be. Can you explain it again? All I saw were compelling reasons to keep the MBP.

I would keep the MBP, and if you need more screen, pick up a cheep 20" or 22" monitor. For being serious about music, but not enough to have a real studio or MP, I think you will find yourself in situations where you will want to record at other locations or perform live with your computer - down the line there are so many scenarios that would make you wish you had the ability to take the computer with you. What about writing/recording when you are on tour or vacation?

I'd say keep the MBP, unless you can tell me what your desire is for the iMac.