Audiobook chapters in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yr Blues, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I have a white 1st gen Nano that I shows me chapter divisions when I'm listening to an audiobook (even though it doesn't remember where I leave off :rolleyes:) however, when I listen to an audiobook in iTunes, it doesn't show any chapter divisions. It just plays like a normal song.

I'd like to skip through the chapters—am I missing something :confused:

2. ptsube macrumors 6502

The chapter menu is the second to the last menu item in iTunes.

And in order for iTunes to remember the playback position: right-click audiobook track, select Get Info, select the options tab, then check "Remember Playback Position.

3. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

OMG, that's so unintuitive—I finally see it now. They should make the book like an album, and the chapters like ind. songs

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

apples audiobook support sucks.

my ipods and iphone often forget where i left off. it remembers most of the time roughly where i left off but it is sometimes off by 1 minute, somtimes it remembers the position from the day before and sometimes it starts from the beginning.

on the ipod touch and the iphone it tell you the time left in a chapter, but not for the entire book. on the nano it tell you the time for the entire book. if you listen to a book on different devices that means you never know where you left off on the other device and to what time to scroll to continue. amazons "wispersync for kindle" shows how to do it right..

the sort order of audiobooks is strange. books that are broken up in parts do not come up in the right order. that is annoying because you have to search for the next part manually.

even the ipod touch abbreviates the audiobook titles instead of side scrolling through them. since books that come in several parts have the "part number" at the end of the title and it's not shown you don't know what part you should select.

on old ipods you could listen at ~1.5x the normal speed. now its either 1x or 2x. too fast or too slow IMHO. 1.5x was perfect.

given that audiobooks are the most meaningful use of ipods (music/games are just for fun) you would expect that apple would be a bit more sophisticated with their audiobook player.

5. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

OMG I was searching for the chapters menu and this thread made my day. Thank you.

Indeed completely unintuitive.

6. mbowman35 macrumors newbie

Itunes 11.2.2 Solution

Hey, Just wanted to update this thread. It took me a while to figure out but the hotkey combination to skip chapters is: Command+Control+Shift+ArrowKey. Yea, it's complicated and needs to be simplified but at least it's still possible.