Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeballer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
what I've currently being doing is getting free, public domain books like shakespear or h.g. wells, converting to aac, changing the extension and poof (6 files for 6 chapters, and with a little fiddling chapter no#, or name of chapter)

But today I downloaded a free audiobook at an attempt to see what it looked like and saw the bookmarks! SOOOOO. why not change my existing?! cause its been freaking hard so far. I used a tool called "join together", loaded track listings, setup as stereo, 64kbps, chapterized.. What I got was a small m4b file, with only 32kbps, mono and during chapterizing it keeped going on and on and on. I kept it all night to make sure and nada

I also found a howto for audio cds that seems would work but that won't help
alll stuff is mp3, or ogg -- unforunately

SOOOO here I am, looking for a way to either convert, combine AND save to audiobook /w chapters or just save to audiobook /w chapters. Can someone please provide me some information. Preferably free toys, and preferably windows (because my macbook is junk). If this is also a way for me to chapterize tvshows or movies.. let me know? I'd preferably like to do that with some things I converted for a trip comming later

If this is also something that can be done for movie /tv show I'd like to hear

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
what I've currently being doing is getting free, public domain books like shakespear or h.g. wells, converting to aac, changing the extension and poof (6 files for 6 chapters, and with a little fiddling chapter no#, or name of chapter)

But today I downloaded a free audiobook at an attempt to see what it looked like and saw the bookmarks! SOOOOO. why not change my existing?! cause its been freaking hard so far. I used a tool called "join together", loaded track listings, setup as stereo, 64kbps, chapterized.. What I got was a small m4b file, with only 32kbps, mono and during chapterizing it keeped going on and on and on. I kept it all night to make sure and nada

I also found a howto for audio cds that seems would work but that won't help
alll stuff is mp3, or ogg -- unforunately

SOOOO here I am, looking for a way to either convert, combine AND save to audiobook /w chapters or just save to audiobook /w chapters. Can someone please provide me some information. Preferably free toys, and preferably windows (because my macbook is junk). If this is also a way for me to chapterize tvshows or movies.. let me know? I'd preferably like to do that with some things I converted for a trip comming later

If this is also something that can be done for movie /tv show I'd like to hear

I've also attempted Join Together - not a happy experience.

Right now I'm loving Audiobook Builder, import the files, make up chapters how you want, click the build audiobook button. Turns it into a .m4b file which works with iTunes (I don't know about anything else)

I know it works with mp3s, not sure about ogg.

Also it's mac only, and it's not free. I think there's a free trial, and I have seen it linked on torrent sites so you could try it.

It it completely fantastic though. I've loads of audiobooks lying around burnt to cds or on cd that I've gathered over the years and listening on my iPod used to be a major hassle. Now I'm listening to nothing else 'cause it's so easy to get it properly formatted and chaptered.

freeballer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
thanks. I actually did find that peice of software and it works better than any solution I found so far. Kinda bummed its not free but I guess its worth it in long run, so will pay when I can. I gotten a few things converted before trial ended so happy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.