Audiobook on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by insocal, Aug 24, 2008.

1. insocal macrumors regular

I was listening to an Audiobook on the iPod App of my iPhone. It was downloaded thru iTunes.

Is it not possible to STOP listening and go back and have it resume where I left off? Or to get a Status of Time LEFT in the Track, etc?

Thanks!

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is a problem the iPhone has unbelievably had since the day it was introduced. No one here seems to understand or cares. Here is a thread I started about the iPod function losing it's place problem and just like you didn't get any response (although you got mine ;)) .

3. iNfowarrior macrumors member

???

I listen to audio books all the time on my iphone. Every chapter within every part (part 1, 2, etc..) retains its own memory point, unless of course you have this setting turned off in the ipod preferences.

the only annoying issue is if you forget which part you left off. you need to pick the correct part and it will jump to the correct chapter and spot you left off.

Its also a big pain if you decide to skip anything instead of listening through. Sometimes i end up with memory points all over the place and need to reset it all or resync it to clear it up.

4. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

Some in the audiobooks I have are only two chapters but over 1 1/2 hours each. So was wondering if there was a way to have a 'memory point' within that space?

5. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

The iPod is supposed to automatically do that... any books you get on audible.com or iTunes have it set as the default and it can't be un-set, to continue the track where you left off. I NEVER had any problems on my iPhone until the 2.0 software came out, on both 2G and now on the 3G... sometimes it'll go back to where I left off, other times it will show me that it's thinking of going to the correct chapter, then starts over at the beginning.

I've even gone so far as to completely erase my phone and restore it. No help. Since I have pretty much become an iPod believer because I LOVE audible and listening to audiobooks all the time this is a pretty gigantic problem for me personally.

6. reposed macrumors newbie

With 2.0+ I have had large problems with Audiobooks.

Any book larger than 10hr doesn't play, slows down the iphone, or will cause a reboot if I use anything else with it.

Playing a 5+hr book and running a speedtest at testmyiphone for example will cause a HARD FREEZE 75% of the time.

1.1.4 was rock solid for Audiobook fuctions. Places lost, not playing, or slowdowns with audiobooks.

In 1.1.4 I could listen to a 1.5G mpb audiobook without problem. With 2+ it won't even play.

7. BrightestBear macrumors member

I haven't had any problems with losing my place in audiobooks so far on my 3G. I've got two 15-20 hour books stored on there now, one that I'm currently listening to. Again, no problems. (Yet. I don't really trust my phone not to screw up at some future point.) Sucks that you're having trouble, though! It's such a hassle to remember your spot.

Now, I'm using audiobooks I ripped from CDs and then converted to audiobook format, but I would think that audiobooks from official sources like iTunes would work even better than my homemade ones do.

8. arnelgonce macrumors newbie

iphone and audiobooks

I think I'm doing something wrong. My audiobooks that I put on my phone from CD will not play in order. Each CD is listed as an audiobook, and it shuffles through the book, even though shuffle is turned off in everyway conceivable. I'm sure I'm missing something but don't know what. Does anyone have any ideas?

9. camarobh macrumors 6502

I have this problem too

Sometimes my audio books remember where they are, sometimes they don't. When they don't, it is after I have synced the iPhone. I noticed once that the book was being re-copied to my iPhone during the sync process, and that's when it loses it's place. In the meantime I make a note in the notepad on the iPhone of exactly where I am in the book I am listening too just in case.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

My audiobooks remember where I left off. I have books as long as 26 hours in chapterized .m4b format as single files, and they always remember where I left off (unless I've restored or something, of course).

11. patbutterfield macrumors newbie

Audiobooks have always caused me trouble too, but I follow some simple rules to make my iPhone perform a little better:

1. The books that I get are typically 100's of small files. I use an .MP3 joiner program to join them into a few larger files. This helps keep track of which file I am on.

2. When joining the files together, never make a file longer than 5:30 hours. This has made a huge difference. 6:00 hour files just don't seem to work right. Try it, you will see.

3. When I join the files, I number each joined file consecutively in the filename and set the track number in file properties. This helps keep everything in order.

4. When adding the track to iTunes, I select the files and modify them to be of type audiobook and set them to remember last position. i also exclude them from random play.

5. And finally, just like the poster above, when I sync my phone I try and make a mental note what file I am on and where I am in the file.

I hope this helps.

BTW, the .MP3 joiner I use is MP3 Splitter Joiner Pro (PC). It has a great interface and it is easy to sort the files into the proper order by track number, file name, location, etc. to ensure all is correct.

Pat

12. GLOC macrumors member

I use Bookmark which will allow you to close the app and then when you reopen it, the file is where you left it, even a long audiobook. It also allows you to bookmark your place in a book, change audiobook and listen to that.

I have a JB phone so with Backgrounder, I can have CoPilot Navigator running and Bookmark playing books in the background.

Regards