audiobooks and voice directions?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm not using iOS 6 so I'm curious how iOS handles the audio/music API while using turn-by-turn directions. I would assume that it would lightly lower the sound of the music while siri gives directions, which works perfectly for music... but not so perfectly for audiobooks (or podcasts). I would wish that voice directions were automatically disabled for audiobooks, but I doubt that's possible because, as far as I'm aware, there is no distinction (API-wise) between music and talk.

Is there a way to manually disable voice directions? Is it in the actual maps app or the settings app? It would be pretty annoying to need to turn the sound off/on every time I listen to an audiobook ESPECIALLY if the setting is hidden in the dumb settings app.... (That app has become too much of a catch-all. I understand it's purpose, but there needs to be settings in the individual apps. Ideally I would like have in both locations. Centralized to manage all iPhone settings, and locally on each app. /end rant)

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Maps has options for loud voice, normal voice, quiet voice and no voice.

3. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Audiobooks have gone from the music app all together in beta 4. you can still play them by searching in spotlight search though.

Might be a bug/glitch or maybe Apple is putting them in iBooks or something.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You can also tell Siri to play them if you have a 4S.
    The whole thing is really weird because they added audiobook specific features in betas 1-3 (15-second skip forward and skip backs) only to have the whole category disappear in beta-4.
    :confused: