Audiobooks

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Four20, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

I added one, but i guess it's not 'tagged' correctly? So it just goes into the music section of itunes. . .and into the ipod.

What setting triggers a song as a audiobook?

Is it the id3 genre tag?

2. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

It needs to be in the audiobook section of iTunes. If it is only mp3 convert it to m4b. I would recommend the use audiobook builder(if on a mac).

3. ZachG33 macrumors newbie

Well if your importing from a cd into iTunes, then the way that worked for me was to first join the cd tracks under advanced. Then go to Preferences under edit and go to the advanced tab. Under the advance tab go to importing. Change the setting from high quality to custom and under custom change the bit rate to 64 kbps and the sample rate to 44.100 kHz. Once thats done push ok and start importing. You might have to change the info, but most of the time iTunes will recognize the info. Hope this helps.

4. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Better yet, download Doug's Make Bookmarkable AppleScript and install it in iTunes as a plugin. Select your imported audiobook tracks and run the script.
    I *think* this will only work with AAC's though as the files get renamed from .m4a to .m4b's (a requirement for them to be recognized by iTunes as audiobook files).

5. Four20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Four20

that sucks. they are in mp3 format.

could someone(with an audio book in itunes) check the tags and maybe i can just edit the tag to the correct value?

6. jhjerlin macrumors newbie

how I do it

What I do is I create a playlist for the audiobook in question and put all the files into that playlist. Then i select all the files and edit there info to "Remember possition" = Yes and "Skip when shuffeling" = Yes.
    Maybe thats enough for you to?

7. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

You can't just rename them if they're MP3s... but you can if they're AACs. Try this:

Set your importing options to AAC, with a somewhat low quality... 64 kbps or so.

Right-click the tracks and take "Convert to AAC"

When they're done, go get your new AAC files (filename.m4a) and drag them to the desktop.

Rename the extension from m4a to m4b, ignore the warning.

Drag the newly renamed files "filename.m4b" back into iTunes and they'll drop into the "Audiobooks" section automatically.

In the future, import Audiobooks as AACs, that way you only need to change the extension and drag them back in.

Here's my Audiobook library... I've done this method on most of these books:

[​IMG]

8. bindigok macrumors regular

Actually the newer iTunes has this feature, so you no longer need the script. I'm not sure exactly which file types it works with, but it's there. Click on the track, hit command+I and select the Options tab; then be sure "remember playback position" is selected.