Audioengine 5+

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vandrv, Mar 4, 2013.

1. vandrv macrumors regular

I just received these speakers in bamboo today, and all I can say is that I for the price, I doubt you could do any better than this. I took advice that I got here and so far, I couldn't be happier.

2. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I agree with you. Mine are not bamboo but they are really good speakers. I would recommend them and buy them again if i needed speakers. I've had mine for a couple of years. they get better as time goes on.

3. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

The bamboo probably wasn't necessary, but the sure do look good as well as sounding good.:)

4. wnorris macrumors member

wnorris

I could not agree more. I have both the a2 and a5s and love them. I got the a5s in Bamboo first and they are a little more than I needed. Granted I had seen all the reviews, but they blew me away.

The a2s are powerful enough for most of what people will need.

5. tu4thenguyen macrumors member

don't forget to get a DAC, you will love it even more.

6. BigRedOne macrumors regular

7. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't gotten a DAC either, Do you you think it adds enough to make it a good investment? To my old ears these speakers sound pretty darn good without one.

8. tu4thenguyen macrumors member

in my opinion it sounds great when i listen to my A5+ with my DAC with lossless format.

9. Action, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

Action macrumors member

Are these hooked up to a Mac? If so, I wouldn't bother with an external DAC since Macs come with a really good onboard DAC -- you'd likely not be able to distinguish a difference in an ABX test.

10. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

These speakers are hooked up to an Imac. And they sure sound pretty darn good to me.

11. ilvwhtgrls macrumors newbie

Any links backing that up? The general consensus is the exact opposite.

12. Action macrumors member

If you search over at the http://www.head-fi.org/ forums, there's several threads that vouch for the quality of the DACs put in Macs. The best bang for you buck will be buying better speakers or headphones -- you'd have to spend quite a bit on them for the Mac's DAC to be the weakest link in your chain.

Additionally, judging sound quality is highly susceptible to the placebo effect. The only real way to see if you can tell the difference is to do a proper ABX test. If you're feeling adventurous, buy an external DAC from a retailer with a good return policy and have a buddy help you conduct the test.

13. ilvwhtgrls macrumors newbie

Already on it! I've got a schiit modi on the way. Will update ASAP.