Audioengine 5s vs M-audio studiophile av 40s

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dlamin517, Nov 13, 2008.

1. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

I am going to sell my bose companion 5s so ill have some dough to buy some different speakers( ya i realize bose sucks)

So my speakers will be connected to my new macbook. i listen to mostly rock and post hardcore. All in 320kbps or less

Which ones provide the best sound quality

Thanks

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I was looking at those 2 models as well. Huge differences in price. Both highly rated Any thoughts?

3. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I think a better comparison, at least price wise, would be between the Audioengine 2's and the M-audio Studiophile AV40's. Not having demoed either model, I would be more inclined to give the Audioengine 2's a shot first, based simply upon the great write-up they received in Stereophile.

4. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I will pipe in a few thoughts as I own both the A2's and the A5's.

First off... the A2's in many respects are more impressive than the A5's mostly due to their diminutive size and amazing response relative to the size. While it does not of course produce chest compressing bass, the frequencies are still there... and the amount of air moving through the front firing port is quite impressive. The A5's absolutely amaze... they are LOUD as you want and very very clean. Nice mid-bass and plenty of lows... but they are not small. They will take up a serious chunk of your desktop. I use the A2's on my desktop (MBP) and the A5's with an APE mounted on the back for remote speakers pretty much anywhere in my house. The A2's sounded "good" when I first hooked them up, but let me tell you they sound an order of magnitude better now that they are broken in 5 months later. Very clean, warm and excellent sound reproduction and as I mentioned, astounding range for their size. Not immensely loud, but if SQ is your thing I couldn't recommend anything more for the desktop. To be honest, I prefer the SQ of the A2's over the A5's... you just can't drive the A2's as hard as the A5's... SPL is definitely less.

Hope that helps some...

5. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Tom...thanks for the feedback. The A2's are on my Christmas list!

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The M-Audio's are better IMO. The sound is just better and with the Audioengines you are paying a lot for the name and the iPod feature. I would heavily recommend the Behringer B2031a's over any of these. Check out this review.

7. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Mac Kid thanks for posting that review. A lot of people also rave about the Behringer line of amplifiers to use for home hifi systems. They seem to make really great products all around.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah, Behringer is hit or miss, however, I must say that the B2031A's were one of their hits. I own a bunch of hi-end sound gear and for $300, it's hard to imagine that there is a better deal. I use my KRK monitors now, but for someone that is looking to spend $250-$350 - these are what I would recommend.

9. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Interesting comments on the Behringers, I haven't heard them. You do know that a couple in the lead development team at Behringer were the original team for "powered" Mackies>!?

I agree with Tom on the A-2's, as I too, have had experience with the A-5's as well as the Mackie MR8's. I bring these up because they, too, are a bit bigger then a smallish monitor that you may be looking for....however, bang for Buck, I wanted to nominate the MR5-MR8 lines from Mackie. Astounding! The 5's, kind of like the A2's are a bit, and I hesitate to say it, bass shy? The Freaks are there, just not the slam. But, to add the bottom octave to any monitor, a sub is a good bet, unless you want to spend the big bucks and allow ample room on your monitoring station.

Also, whether or not you are mixing surround at all...don't know if that is of interest, seeing as though most of the sound editing software allows for 5 and 7.1 steering, the .1 being the sub:)

The A-2s are an awesome speaker. The MR5's as well. I am not fond at all of the M-Audios. Some of their peripherals are great, speakers, iMO, are not their forte:)

I will check the Behringers. I have four of the U-Control USB outboard sound cards (that's what I call it anyway, no drivers, $30, one of the truly great finds for my mobile sound gear on Macs!) and they're incredible! I bought two little 4 channel mixers from them, one sounds great, the other a POS....so, hit or miss for me too, with Behringer:)

The other way to go is with a decent Home theater receiver, as many are dumping great product for nickels, in favor of HDMI gear. Grab a 5.1 receiver and a nice pair of B&W 601/2 series 2 or 3 speakers from ebay. B&W has a new line of bookshelves out, so these are two or three generations old....but, they sound phenomenal. Paradigm also makes great passive speakers, Thiel, Totem, Wilson, Dynaudio....all depending what you want to spend....your choices are limitless if you go with decent outboard amplification. If you have room for it, this is also a great way to be able to plug in other sources to your computer. Vinyl, High end digital (Outboard DACs), FM tuner, etc. I have a Denon 5803 receiver, about 6 years old, weighs almost 90 pounds and sounds spectacular! An amazing receiver. I have almost 4 grand into it, not a scratch, sat in the same place with nothing on top of it for all 6 years. Perfect condition! I put it on Craigslist and I got no emails! I put it up for $999, with an additional 50 dollar bill and I would hook it up for them....not a single hit! I would never sell it for cheaper than that...I think event that price is too low. There are other things I can do with it...>Bedroom, Garage, etc.

Sorry about the rambling, just wanted to make a point of what is available out there in the receiver world for dirt cheap right now. Look at Rotel, NAD, Denon, Pioneer (Elite), even Lexicon (if you have power amps), and Anthem's pre pros. Again, if it doesn't have HDMI right now, it is dirt cheap. Also, with the pre-inputs on these receivers, they are able to take advantage of the new sound codecs, as long as the processing is done inside the decks (Blu_Ray). I think, with the exception of a couple of Denon transports, this is the case for almost all of them. Not all have 5 or 7.1 channel outputs (analog) but many do. In fact, the Denon 5803 I have, like the Denon 5800 both have 2 "8" (7.1) channel inputs! So you can do SACD with one and Blu-Ray with the other:) Not trying to sell mine, in fact, at this point I won't, knowing what the market will and won't bear. BUT, if you can locally find one of these gems....someone just trying to unload an "Old" B&K Ref 50 or Lexicon MC-1....buy IT, hook it up to your workstation, enjoy SONIC BLISS!

Jer