Audiojack/port on 3g getting messed up?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hallaisen, Oct 22, 2009.

1. hallaisen macrumors regular

Hey,

My iPhone 3g from December 2008 has started messing up when I'm listening to music through headphones. Sometimes it only outputs in mono, and there's a lot of scraping and noise when the cable is moved around. Sometimes it even fast forwards the song, or stops playing altogether. However, it works ok if I push the cable-connector/jack (dont know the english word) and hold it steady in the iphone output port. It's like this for both of my headphones, so I assume it is the phone and not the headphone cables. Is there anything I can do to fix this without buying a new phone? It was bought in Norway and I live in Australia, so am not sure what my options are. Anyone got any tips?

Cheers

2. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Make sure there's no gunk inside the jack. If you pocket the phone often then it's likely build up of lint. Shine a light into it and see what you can see. If you see stuff, turn the phone off, grab a toothpick or paperclip and remove the lint. Usually comes out in one shot as a big clump.

Just about any headphone issues i've ever had are the result of lint. If it's really bad I'd suggest a headphone jack cover.

3. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Keep a cover, I use a plastic plug, on the headphone jack to prevent ingress of moisture/dirt when not in use. A silicone jacket without a cutout for the headphone jack, which can easily be pealed back when needed, would be a boon. Anybody know of one ? (I have glued thin rubber over mine)