Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jesse Waugh

Suspended
Nov 10, 2017
New York City
Whether this article is true or not, most studio monitors are still going to blow the HomePod's music quality out of the water. Also Apple has never used premium-grade audio converters in their equipment, and Beats never made anything other than consumer-grade over-priced products as far as I'm aware.

It's a high-end smart consumer hi-fi that isn't going to be flat nor transparent, but rather have the classic HI-FI EQ 'smiley face' i.e. boosted bass and treble. Which then drown out certain mid-range frequencies (as has been said in some reviews).

Agreed. I've got some Tannoy speakers that sound absolutely BEAUTIFUL. It's not just about tech, it's also about aesthetics.

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Could anyone, who owns HomePod, and likes electronic music, give a listen to

TIPPER - AMBERGRIS
TIPPER - SCAPULA
TIPPER - DEAD SOON

and tell me, how does it sound?

The thing with Tipper’s music, is, that it is very skillfully mastered in surround sound.
Sounds good in stereo, sounds amazing in surround. Just would like to know if HomePod is good enough to reproduce the sound like this

Thank you

Reactions: HansHeino

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
How does one become an audiophile? Is it something you go to school for or does it apply to anyone who spends a lot of money on audio gear?

It's a bit like having taste or talent .
One can just claim to have it, or spend a lot of time and effort to actually acquire the skills .

As speakers and such go, they always try to cheat physics, but will never be able to beat physics .
People should just enjoy these toys for what they are, and stop fantasizing about them being the 2nd coming .

Reactions: 0947347 and Lilok

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
"Audiophile" - the fella is a tit - he tried to tell me the HomePod has a perfectly flat frequency response. Even £10,000 studio monitors don't have a perfectly flat frequency response - further more the HomePod wasn't designed to have one.

Too bad "Audiophiles" lose perspective. They focus more on their tweaking of their overpriced equipment to enjoy musical performances. I was once an "audiophile". I spent obscene amounts of money on stupid stuff and then the enjoyment of listening to musical performances was lost because I ended up listening to perceived and imagined acoustic defects in my expensive setup.

The HomePod makes the musical delivery system as transparent as possible.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Most audiophiles don’t care much about measurements. They can help to explain a few things, but there are very few (if any) standards for producing said measurements and even then they’ll be endlessly debated. You know when you see headphones that claim “20 to 20,000 Hz” frequency response they haven’t measured jack. It’d be like basing a camera purchase on DP Review sensor tests only. They trust their ears and experience counts.

Having said that I do suspect (I’ve not heard it myself) it does sound amazing for the price and the size. It’s doing an intense amount of DSP which is what most consumers want and need. The problem with very high grade equipment without DSP is that poor recordings and mixes sound bad; sometimes very bad and you kind of have to do digital (or analogue) EQing on the fly. Active speakers with DSP largely negate that need. But well matched analogue equipment with a good mix can sound amazing and can’t be matched.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
**** review but I'm being more and more tempted. I'm a tech junkie and the whole "smart tweeter array" is looking really neat.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
There is going to be a lot of denial of the obvious before everyone else starts frantically trying to emulate the HomePod, just like they did the iPhone.
The iPhone was a revolutionary product. The HomePod is not.

The HomePod is inferior to other products already on the market, except when pertaining to sound quality. Apple is the one playing catch-up here. They need to figure out the “smart” part of a “smart” speaker.

Music Ambulance

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
Too bad "Audiophiles" lose perspective. They focus more on their tweaking of their overpriced equipment to enjoy musical performances. I was once an "audiophile". I spent obscene amounts of money on stupid stuff and then the enjoyment of listening to musical performances was lost because I ended up listening to perceived and imagined acoustic defects in my expensive setup.

The HomePod makes the musical delivery system as transparent as possible.
Pretty refreshing to hear those comments though. As far as whether obsessing ruins the experience...there’s a sweet spot; it’s as much in the mind as the DAC converters.

Reactions: MacsRuleOthersDrool

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Not sure where to ask this. But exactly how does the Homepod play the music?
Is it using Airplay from the phone?
If I have all my devices off, how does it serve the music?
I'm concerned about lossy audio files.
If I play an Apple lossless file on my phone, is HomePod checking Apple Music for a lossy AAC version or does it just play from my device?

Reactions: arkitect

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

The HomePod is inferior to other products already on the market, except when pertaining to sound quality. Apple is the one playing catch-up here. They need to figure out the “smart” part of a “smart” speaker.

So apart from the single biggest factor in a music speaker?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
There are no pro audiophiles. Most of them are laughed at by people who work with sound for living because they don't have a clue what they're talking about and they believe some of the most far fetched things you could imagine. They're often the audio version of flat earthers.

Since Flat Earth is back, does this mean people want compressed Digital Audio from a mono speaker instead of Hi Fi Stereo Audio?

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Not sure where to ask this. But exactly how does the Homepod play the music?
Is it using Airplay from the phone?
If I have all my devices off, how does it serve the music?
I'm concerned about lossy audio files.
If I play an Apple lossless file on my phone, is HomePod checking Apple Music for a lossy AAC version or does it just play from my device?

If its Apple Music, it streams it directly to the HomePod.

If its a third party service like Spotify, it uses Airplay to stream it from an iOS device.

passionfruit

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
NYC
Here’s a great example. I was at work one day discussing audio and my coworker claimed he’s an audiophile because of his love for audio. He’s enthusiastic about audio so it makes him an audiophile. (Which Is also the definition. When looked up.) He has no training what so ever. As I have worked five and a half years as an audio consultant for Harman International and went to school for audio engineering...

It's a bit like having taste or talent .
One can just claim to have it, or spend a lot of time and effort to actually acquire the skills .

As speakers and such go, they always try to cheat physics, but will never be able to beat physics .
People should just enjoy these toys for what they are, and stop fantasizing about them being the 2nd coming .

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
There is going to be a lot of denial of the obvious before everyone else starts frantically trying to emulate the HomePod, just like they did the iPhone.
Of all the critisism I read about the HomePod before it launched, nobody said the audio quality would stink. The fact it sounds awesome isn’t surprising at all.

But I sure hope the others don’t emulate the HomePod’s inability to work with all but one streaming service.

Reactions: arkitect

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Never understood the price criticism of the HomePod. Google "high end streaming speaker" and the HomePod starts to look distinctly like the economy option. Anything Siri can do is just icing on the cake - and its not like Apple is advertising this as anything other than a music device.

Amazon and Google's devices (a) don't seem to be in the same league audio-wise and (b) are subsidised loss leaders - Google wants to sell your life to advertisers and Amazon hope you will use Alexa for all your shopping. At the moment, Apple want to make money from the hardware and hope you will buy music from them - and that's about it.

Now, for me, the lack of compatibility with anything other than Airplay is maybe a deal-breaker - like most new Apple products they lack versatility - but for plenty of people that's exactly what they need. Its not as if Android offers a single "just works" solution beyond Bluetooth, and at least it looks like any iOS App will be able to Airplay to these speakers (even Chromecast still depends on application-level support).

Anyway, Apple seem to know about tiny speakers - the iPad speakers are incredible for their size (which is not the same as being incredible in absolute terms) and even the iMac speakers are pretty impressive for what they are (they sound muffled, but not as muffled as they should do without any visible grilles...).

NB: can anybody answer this - is the HomePod strictly mono, or does it use beam-forming/psychoacoustic tricks to produce some semblance of a stereo image?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

"Apple is doomed because they aren't catering to a small niche of nerds that hardly makes any revenue"

This is exactly the Android vs iOS fight over again. Apple's not going to lose because they have leverage. An installed base of over 1 billion iOS devices is leverage. Having aggregated the most affluent customers is leverage.

It's actually astounding to me that there's people in the Macrumors comments who think Apple's approach isn't the right one and that they're somehow going to "lose".

Could the grapes in this thread be any more sour?

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
At least the excellent audio makes up for absolute garbage that is Siri.
[doublepost=1518440950][/doublepost]
"Apple is doomed because they aren't catering to a small niche of nerds that hardly makes any revenue"

This is exactly the Android vs iOS fight over again. Apple's not going to lose because they have leverage. An installed base of over 1 billion iOS devices is leverage. Having aggregated the most affluent customers is leverage.

It's actually astounding to me that there's people in the Macrumors comments who think Apple's approach isn't the right one and that they're somehow going to "lose".

Could the grapes in this thread be any more sour?

Cringe

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don’t know about any of that stuff I’m in no way an audiophile, I do find the HomePod impressive tho and have been using it daily since mine arrived on Friday, I’ve listened to all kinds of music at different volumes and i can’t hear any distortion which in itself is impressive, the fact that Siri can hear me from across the room when talking at a normal level is also impressive. The HomePod in my opinion is great I think Apple have a hit on their hands (yet again as with the AirPods).

vaxes

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Mine came Friday.
Sound quality is amazing.
Max volume is very disappointing.
Siri is very slow, sluggish and works the same as on my phone.

I am split with this, happy with the quality but not happy with the max volume & siri.
Won't be recomending this to my friends.

AE

Reactions: smirking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.