Audiophiles: What Do You Do for Music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 30, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm a big fan of streaming services but also like to hear lossless music. I've found that 320kbp/s AIFF saves a lot of space and is basically indistinguishable from the CD copy. I do notice a bit of a difference between Rdio and the lossless CD but they've stepped up their audio quality. Personally, I have no issue converting the music myself even though it's either annoying to have CDs around or takes up a lot of space to download a 400-500MB+ lossless album from a site that sells lossless copies.

When I get my car with a $2,000 (overpriced) Bose stereo in it, I'm definitely looking to have my most-listened songs in lossless quality so I'll probably play them off of a HDD.

Any opinions on Beats Music's audio quality? Hopefully no "Beats Technology" :roll eyes: in that but MOG sounded high quality before they were acquired by Beats/

2. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Audiophiles would tell you to:
    B.uy O.ther S.ound E.quipment

Honestly, if you put in an aftearket system it will blow away that 2000 dollar Bose setup

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's a used car. Have no choice so I'm just happy with the Bose factory upgrade.

4. BeeJee macrumors 6502

You won't notice a difference in the quality from a 320 sample to a lossless on a Bose system so don't go crazy. You asked what audiophiles use, and for starters they wouldn't be using a Bose system. I'm not hating on what you're buying, just stating facts. A lot of people like the sound of Bose systems, but if you actually want to step up your audio game then a new system would be my first step.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have the Bose system in my car. It's crap. It's better then my mom's civic, but compared to other systems I've listened to, it's crap. Listening Lossless vs Regular sounds almost the same, except the higher end and the very low end (that the bose system sadly cannot produce properly. It really sounds like the system only allows about 90Hz to 15kHz vs the 20Hz to 20kHz in the real good audio system). As long as you have 192kbps or higher, it sounds the same vs 320+.

On a good note though, you can crank it up as loud as you want and it doesn't distort. Thats probably the only good thing I like about the bose system.

6. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Also not hating on the OP but I enjoyed this. I've always heard it as "No highs, no lows, must be Bose." Good stuff!

7. VersaceX macrumors newbie

Your Bose audio system will sound famtastic. Don't let anyone try to tell you any different.
    "Audiophiles" are just a subset of self titled beings that like to think they are special.

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Oh, don't get me wron: I wouldn't have bought the Bose system if I had gotten the car new. But it's what I have to work with and should more than suffice. I'm well aware that Bose is overpriced for their quality.

9. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Why shouldn't people educate him when he was asking a question about the quality of his music? The fact of the matter is that there will be no discernible difference between a 320 sample and a lossless track on a Bose system. You added no knowledge to this thread besides telling the OP to not let us tell him different which makes no sense. Also, you don't have to be an audiophile to hear the massive difference between a factory Bose system and an aftermarket setup costing the same. If you don't know what you're talking about don't give advice.

10. VersaceX macrumors newbie

Case and point. Thank you.

11. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Unless I find a really particular audiophile buyer the Bose system will be worth more as a factory upgrade in resale anyway. I wouldn't pay more for it but it's part of the used Mazda I'm considering.

However, when I have a home I'd consider $2,000 for a fantastic (not Bose/not Beats etc.) sound system

12. bbqkimchi, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

bbqkimchi macrumors newbie

bbqkimchi

I send all Audio to Apple TV then...

Apple TV HDMI OUT --> TV HDMI IN -->TV Optical Audio Out --> Optical Audio IN of preferred DAC / Receiver / Pre-Amp.

This does me just fine, I invested in all my audio equipment before I even became an Apple nut.

Combine this w/ a bluetooth keyboard for Apple TV and subscribe to iTunes Match. Very nice!

Edit:

Whoops, didn't read that the OP was interested in cars. Yes, what everyone says. Go aftermarket.

I have a lightening connector that sends the digital files to my head unit. Then well shielded cables that send analog audio to a 4 way amplifier, then appropriate gauged speaker wire to components in doors and coaxials in the rear. Also put sound dampening throughout the interior under all paneling.

13. madsilencerr macrumors member

Audiophiles: What Do You Do for Music?

Bang n' olufsen have the best sound I've ever heard from speakers/ headphones by the way

14. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I was disappointed by their headphones sold in the apple store.

15. madsilencerr macrumors member

What headphones did you get? I got the Form 2 and they rock! I even use them to mix my music sometimes

16. Fuchal macrumors 68020

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'm eating Shreddies. They sound good when I chew.

18. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Oh, it's AAC? I thought it was 320kbps MP3. Seems better than iTunes or the other streaming services in that case.

19. jamesgf macrumors member

For me I still rip all my CDs using EAC and LAME for V0 mp3s on my iPhone and even mp3 CDs, seems like a good balance of sound quality and space saving. My 07 RDX tech has the ELS surround sound system in it, V0 mp3 and CDs sound pretty much the same in it, the system really shines with DVD-A or DTS though. Still an overpriced system compared to an aftermarket setup, but like OP I bought the car used.

20. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

I think Beats sounds are mostly appreciate by so many music lovers. nothing can beat Beats.

21. kaimaikid macrumors newbie

Flac rules

At home I use solely flac - is the best for compression without any loss

Firstly - rip your cds with EAC (exact audio copy) to flac

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Then I use foobar to play bit perfect - http://www.foobar2000.org/

then you'll need a codec and a few other bits and bobs http://www.foobar2000.org/components

and Flac tools https://xiph.org/flac/download.html

I run a Asus zonar essence STX sound card which I connect via coaxial cable to my DAC which feeds analogue signal to my pre-amp which then feeds into my active monitors....

Awesome sounds :cool:

22. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Great info.

But, if you want to carry around your loss-less music on your iPhone, what do you use? Apple no likey Flacy....:D

----------

Does your cars receiver play mp3 discs? Does it have an Aux input?

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

In that case, ALAC.