Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Screen-Shot-2013-08-15-at-1.43.39-AM.png
Augmented reality service Layar has released an update for its iOS app today, bringing a complete redesign to the app as well as the ability to archive AR content for later viewing. The app also includes an integrated QR code scanner and a refined Geo Layer interface that allows the user to find points of interest within a physical location.

Scan print materials enhanced with Layar to view rich digital experiences right on top! Then be amazed as extra digital content appears, allowing you to interact with your world in a whole new way!
Layar was one of the most prominent early apps to take advantage of support for augmented reality features enabled by Apple in iPhone OS 3.1 back in 2009. Layar is a free download in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Augmented Reality App 'Layar' Updates with New Design, Archivable AR Content

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Remember trying it when it first came out, but nothing was really poppin' off back then.

Interested to see how it has progressed, might check it out.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
That must be really awkward for that lady to try to read the newspaper through her smartphone.
She should probably just go to that newspapers website on her phone. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Most of that video's examples are very conventional 2D content called up using the camera. Glorified QR codes. And you'd be better off viewing that content full-screen, once detected, rather than superimposed on the camera feed.

The really cool AR stuff is 3D content integrated with the 3D world, where there's a reason to keep seeing through the camera at the same time. (There's just a bit of that in the latter half of the video.)

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Seems really cool. Wonder how close it will be to reality.

The guy was using a Nexus 4 - on my Nexus, the battery would drop 40% if I scanned a milk carton and watched a video (until I rooted it)

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I hope the Google Goggles (or glass or whatever they call it) work the same way. Plus, if it tracks your eyes, you could look at the movie poster, watch the trailer, and purchase the tickets all HANDS FREE! Without having to hold your phone at arms length. (My biggest complaint about FaceTime...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.