August 2010 MacBook Pro freezes at login screen with a bluish tint

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frozencarbonite, Aug 25, 2010.

1. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

I just got a new MacBook Pro and noticed that after installing all the updates, it sometimes freezes at the login screen and it has like a bluish tint on the screen...like it hasn't finished starting. The mouse works (but 1 mouse pointer stays in the top left corner). I can move it around, but when I click on something, nothing happens.

The weird thing is when I tilt the MacBook Pro in different directions it unfreezes and the blue tint goes away and I can log in. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

I haven't had any screen freezes other than every time I restart.

2. tiwizard macrumors regular

That makes it sound like the SMS is halting the drive or something... Go to an Apple store?

3. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

I have always noticed the bluish tint on all my Mac's after the Apple logo and just before the login screen, however its only suppose to last a few seconds before loading up the login screen.

So lets see if I got what your saying here, it just hangs up there, and you have to tilt it to get it to the Login screen?

I may consider inserting your OSX disc and see if its software related, if nothing is reading do a clean install of Snow Leopard, still doing it seek Apple.

4. jmujica macrumors newbie

This has happened to me twice on a 13" 2010 mpb when I had a Firewire (Drobo) disk or a SD card inserted upon start/restart.. unplugging them made it go away and I was able to login…. weird...

5. frozencarbonite thread starter macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

It gets to the login screen but there is a blue tint over top of it. It's like in photoshop when you have a layer of color over top of an image and you drop the opacity of the colored layer a little so that you can see the layer underneath. Sorry if this doesn't make any since. If I could take a screenshot I would. Maybe I'll take a photo with my camera next time it happens.

6. polocanada macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro freezes at login screen - if 1) login 2) firewire

Same thing here. The problem exists if:

1) more than 1 user setup on system without automatic login
    2) firewire or other USB drives are attached

If one of the options is not present logon is fine without the bluish tint freeze.

Of course another factor could be latest OS updates installed (SL, MBP 13 2010). I cant reproduce the pre-update environment unless I do a reinstall but it seems people report same situation after the updates were done so I assume it's possibly related.

Freeze takes approx 10 seconds before it continues.

Freeze is not happening if the system booths without a login screen (that is if admin is the only account or autologon selected in users profile).