August 22 or 29 for new MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BullMooseFilms, Jul 30, 2008.

1. BullMooseFilms macrumors regular

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/30/apple-to-channel-partners-stock-up-now/

The three week window seems to get us to late August now (damn)

I now know I have to have the laptop by Sept 8, and then with the 14 day window that means Sept 22 before I'm stuck with whatever I have.

But the bulletin to retailers is definite evidence of dates that we haven't had 'til now, and also thats the same sort of thing they've sent in the past from what I've read.

There's a question I wanted to ask and it got asked in one of the big news threads but never answered:

What happens if you do the BTS deal and get the iPod, but then return the MBP to exchange for the new model?

At this point I'm happy with just the new processors and FSB and RAM speed bumps, they'll make a good difference for the long renders I have to do with my MBP. I don't care about it being portable I want it to be as powerful as possible, because I can't get a desktop, as we're required to get a laptop...

edit: August 26th - it helps to look at the "August" page of the calendar.

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

You can make an exchange within 14 days of your original purchase date.

Apple charges a 10% restock fee if you have opened the MBP box. The remaining 90% of your purchase will go toward the exchange for the new model.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

4. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

We're also required to buy the MBP. (as well as FCStudio 2) I'd much prefer one of those new Vaios...

Also who knows when they worked out those chipsets, could have been months ago - the hard fact we have right now is that bulletin to retailers - three weeks.

5. Yixian macrumors 65816

6. loungemonkey macrumors member

What school/job do you go to that requires you to purchase a Macbook Pro?

7. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

So what happens to the free iPod - that was my question. Do you just get to keep it or do you have to turn it in when you exchange the old MBP.

8. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Some art/design schools (like mine).

9. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

It's a film school. I'd much rather keep working with Vista and Sony Vegas, but them's the rules.

10. loungemonkey macrumors member

Interesting, it just seems like you could get the same stuff done on a regular old PC if budgets were tight.

11. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...Id=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921665444446

I'd rather get that - maxed out with BluRay burner, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD, and the 2.8 processor it's still just $2349, which is $600 less than the MBP is with the 2.5 processor and 2GB of RAM and no Blu-Ray (which I need - we will be making HD films at school, and so BRD is good to make output copies of our work)

And OSX is no enticement for me, so save those comments.

So my feeling is if I have to get the MBP at least I want the new one thats a bit faster for rendering and I can have something new and flashy looking. I like those leaked case shots.

I asked our Film Dean about this and he said "FCP is industry standard and you need to have it" so that is that I guess.

12. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

I can do the same stuff on a regular old PC. I'm just not allowed to.

13. loungemonkey macrumors member

I understand that....it is just interesting the school is forcing you...that's all.

14. Yixian macrumors 65816

I'm a die-hard Apple fan and will never buy a PC but seriously guys, just look at that... man, the new MBPs better make some seriously big catch ups because right now they are such poor value for money it's embarrassing.

15. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

corrected:

Boo, I was looking at the July calendar when I made this.

should be August 26 :eek:

16. zsft macrumors regular

Yeah I'm aiming for an the FW series as well now that Newegg's SR series sold out. I'm only concern that the 16" will be too big...anyone seen the real thing? How much bigger is it compared to the 15" MBP?

But remember the rumor of decrease in price of the MBP? If that is confirmed, I feel I should wait for it. The FW's GPU is not powerful enough!

17. piimaPAKK macrumors member

Sounds stupid, you are not going to school to learn apps, its pointless.
    In school you are supposed to learn your trade not the tools, most likely you get some on site training once you get a job, to get you up to date with the tools they use.

18. zsft macrumors regular

Err a little harsh, you are. Classes, in this case, film editing and whatnot, teaches you to create/edit through a universal program (universal as in everyone in class uses it). This makes it easier for the instructor to show and or point out various functions necessary in building the project - the idea is the same throughout the industry, it's just that it'll take forever to figure out if a student is using Final Cut, another on Adobe Premiere, etc. In addition it enhances group working experience and builds a stronger knowledge pool, blah blah blah. Besides that film and other creative arts software are unique; some have functions other programs don't and thus are not perfect substitutes.

What you're trying to point out only applies in the field of computer science, where the course revolves around a certain language and thus students can use any compiler in any OS of their liking. Any modifications to codes is dependent upon the individual, not the program (in most cases) since it just reads and display. So **** and be respectful.

19. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

You don't know the industry apparantly. If you tried to go in and get a job editing and you didn't already know the program backwards you'd be shown the door. The main ones to know are FCP, Avid and Premiere. I personally use Sony Vegas which is also somewhat used, but being a 3 platform capable editor will be very attractive on my resume.

Our school uses both FCP and Avid, the first major project is done on FCP (and with our mandated laptops) and the second on PCs in Avid. This particular school is aimed at real world practical skills more than theory. The editing lab, for example, has 30 macs with FCP and 30 pcs with Avid.

20. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

so you're saying that the stocks for macbooks and mbp are going to be gone by august 26?

21. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Final Cut being industry standard is far from 100% truth. There is no real industry standard. Avid is commonly used not to forget Premiere coming back into the frame and Autodesk owning it's fair share, not for getting Pinnacle or Ulead... The list goes on and it changes every few years or so depending on features required.

It depends where you work as to what you use. From my experience every employer wants Avid or Final Cut (stands you in good stead) but also 2 years broadcast experience... That's fun to try and get!

22. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

And my original question...

Still haven't gotten an answer on this -

If I get the BTS deal, and I then return it to get the new MBP if it comes out later, I get that I have to pay the restocking fee, but do you get to also keep the free iPod?

23. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

keep being active in this thread, i have a friend that works at the apple store and i'm going to see him today probably. i'll make sure to post the answer here as i also want to know the answer :)

24. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

August 22 [and 29] is a sure shot no! Apple would have had to send out invites to the press and obviously that hasnt happened!

It'll be September Mid!

25. BullMooseFilms thread starter macrumors regular

In one of the main news threads someone was talking about an Aug 12 press event. they could announce it and have it come out a week or two later...