August Announces Doorbell Cam Owners Now Have 24 Hours of Free Video Storage

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Smart lock and doorbell maker August, which was acquired by Assa Abloy last October, today announced that all August Doorbell Cam Pro and Doorbell Cam owners will now have access to 24 hours of free video storage under a new subscription plan. Called the "Basic August Video Recording" subscription, users will be able to replay any moment they might have missed from the past 24 hours in the connected iOS August app.

Under the new Basic plan, users will also get access to saved clips of all activity captured by the Doorbell Cam, and be able to download and share saved videos. This plan will be included for free with the purchase of August's Doorbell Cam devices.

[​IMG]

If users need more video storage, the Premium Video Recording plan has up to 30 days of storage for $4.99/month or $49.99/year. More information on the distinction between the plans can be found on August.com.
    The August Doorbell Cam Pro, which launched in October, integrates with the company's HomeKit-compatible Smart Lock Pro so that users can verify who is at their front door and allow them entry into their house, all from an iPhone. At CES in January, August also announced an expansion of its in-home delivery service August Access, competing in the same market with Amazon Key.

Today's reveal of a new free video storage tier for August Doorbell Cam users appears to be a move to remain competitive in the connected doorbell market. Ring, a similar video doorbell and camera company that was acquired by Amazon recently, offers a few features for free to its users, like smartphone notifications, live-streaming video, and two-way audio. However, without a Ring Video Recording plan (starting at $3/month, $30/year per device) users who miss alerts or live events can not review video footage.

Article Link: August Announces Doorbell Cam Owners Now Have 24 Hours of Free Video Storage

2. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

3. JamesBrock macrumors newbie

Doesn't surprise me, their lock is also huge

4. kmm333 macrumors newbie

I'm hoping Ring will follow suit, especially since its owner is in the data storage business. I probably would have bought another brand of video doorbell had I known about the subscription fee. Love the product, hate subscriptions.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Is there a way for these products to just archive video to your own computer and not depend on cloud storage?

6. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I'm getting more frustrated with August. They're focused on monetizing recurring revenue services rather than firming up the core product. I just had one of my locks somehow hang it's bluetooth radio so it was impossible to get it to respond externally (I had to remove the batteries from the interior of the home to get it to reset itself before it would connect again). Luckily I have multiple units and could go to another door but anyone with a single entry or who only has one smart lock and doesn't carry keys would be trapped outside their house in that sort of situation. I was a big fan initially but this should now be a very mature product and yet I've had several unit die outright (needing hardware replacement) and numerous issues of lack of responsiveness or failure to report low power conditions. The core mission of your company, August, should be to allow people to lock and unlock their doors without keys, if you can't get that right you have no business trying to launch a cloud video storage service.

edit: I used to recommend the August product line while pointing out some of the weak aspects I'd run into. Now I just recommend you look at other options.

7. lederermc macrumors 6502

lederermc

Typically no. Most of these have a propriety system that requires use of their cloud service for recording events. Generally, surveillance cameras broadcast with RTSP that can be captured with a NVR or computer. However, these doorbell devices want to lock you in with a subscription.

8. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I have the same frustration with the August lock. I just got the 3rd gen now so I'm going to give it a shot. I do not know of another solution where I don't have to replace my current physical keys AND a smart lock that automatically unlocks as I approach it. So it looks like I am stuck with August for now.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Wow, how totally useless.

I wish the consumer space wasn't dominated by garbage cloud-requiring devices and we could manage our own hardware more. It's depressing; this isn't the future I wanted. :(

10. Fofer macrumors 6502a

It’s also got a security camera, speaker and microphone.

11. Nimrad macrumors 6502

12. WilliamG macrumors G3

And SkyBell continues to offer a week of videos saved... for free.

13. Slowpc macrumors 6502

Slowpc

Yep , My Gen 2 is starting to give me some more issues as well. Grabbed a clearance connect to help a bit but still ... not nearly as smooth on the bluetooth side and general comms. The connect is about 2.5 feet away and still has a poor signal.

14. WilliamG macrumors G3

I have 2x August Locks Gen. 2. Works just fine with HomeKit, connected to my Apple TV 4 and now my Apple TV 4K. I've had them about 2 years now. Only issue I really have with them is the crappy battery life, and that if you never use the August app itself, you'll never know the batteries are low. You have to open the actual August app to see if the battery is low, which is pretty much ridiculous for a HomeKit device.

15. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

I have a Ring doorbell. While I agree it would be great to be able to save those videos locally, without subscription, it's still not a substitute for cloud storage. Cloud is retrievable when I'm away from home, which is when I'm most likely to want to review door activity. (Yes, remote access of my home machine is certainly possible, I just prefer to keep that potential attack vector tightly closed - to each his own when it comes to the illusion of security. ;-) )

16. rodriguez256 macrumors newbie

rodriguez256

Seams like the Sky Bell HD is the most user friendly way to go. Free 7 days of online recording. So no added expensive besides buying the door bell.

17. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

You forgot one feature. In the near future it will also likely have a botnet.

18. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

August has a signal issue given it sits on just one side of the door with its approach of using the stock deadbolt. Houses can be Faraday cages with metal doors and chicken wire used to support stucco exteriors. Radio signals then have a hard time penetrating out from the door lock or in from the doorbell cam (which also acts as the wifi bridge when you have it).

Manufacturers that control both sides of the lock can extend antennae (not sure that they do, but can) and use materials that allow better penetration of signal. August may have to consider that.