HomeKit August Smart Lock

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Oct 15, 2018.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

I currently have a second generation August smart lock on my door. It works fine, generally. At times Siri will say it’s not responding but it will eventually unlock or lock the door per my command.

I presently use it without the August connect plug-in accessory.

It’s my understanding that using it in this manner allows it to connect to the Apple TV for HomeKit support.

I understand that if I purchase the August connect it will connect to that device for HomeKit connectivity.

Given at the Apple TV is farther away from the August, I was thinking that it may have a more liable connection if I purchased the connect.

What is your experience with the August smart lock? Have any of you tried it with and without the August connect?

Is it worth the extra money to buy the connect?

I’m also concerned that if I set it up with the connect and don’t like it or think it’s worth the money when I take that component away the HomeKit compatibility will somehow get messed up.

2. mritech macrumors member

I don’t know about the smart lock. But what I do know is if everything is on the same network it should work fine the Apple TV works as hub to communicate with you’re devices when you’re away from home. That’s my take on it at least

3. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I have the August Smart lock & connect.

If you take away the connect, this will not cause any issues with the HomeKit compatibility.

The connect allows you to control the lock remotely via the August app. It also lets you know if your door is "closed" or open (your door could technically be locked....but ajar or open, etc.)

It doesn't affect your HomeKit in relation to the the August lock.....it simply allows you the same function (and added perks such as knowing if your door is open or closed) that you you would have if you didn't have the apple tv.

4. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think we’re talking about two different things. The August Connect is a bridge that lets it talk over Wifi. It does not add an open and close sensor to the door. That comes with the third gen August.

Does this sound right?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2018 ---
    This is true. But August doesn’t have WiFi. So it has to use something to connect its Bluetooth to the network. Right now the AppleTV is doing that. My question is whether the Connect will help significantly.

I believe it might if I place it closer to the lock than the AppleTV presently is.

5. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

Oh yes, that's correct. I confused the 3rd generation with the connect.

6. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Im also thinking of purchasing this lock. I think the ATV has to be within Bluetooth range of the lock for it to work. I want to purchase 4 locks (2 will be outside in the garage, too far way from the ATV). So I am wondering if I should buy 2 with the connect, and 2 without. Gets pricey either way for 4 locks.....

7. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine works pretty well with just ATV. May want to try them all that way first.