Carrier AUP vs O2 refresh

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darthbane2k, Sep 12, 2016.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

I'm trying to determine whether the apple upgrade programme would be a better option to purchase an iPhone 7 (say £38 a month for handset and £20 sim only deal) than to opt for O2s annual upgrade programme at £55 a month.

Any UK folk in same dialemma, what have you decided?

2. kjm18 macrumors 6502

kjm18

I just upgraded with my O2 refresh contract as didn't want an extra bill to pay for a month on top of my contract.

3. Kingofclouds macrumors member

Kingofclouds

Basically locked vs unlocked. I recently got an SE from O2 who refused to unlock it without settling the outstanding balance. Annoying as my primary use for the phone was as a second travelling phone to use on overseas networks. Go with Apple if you want more flexibility on carrier choice. Otherwise just stick with O2

4. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

According to this, unlocking is free

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sim...ng-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

5. Kingofclouds macrumors member

Kingofclouds

Yes thats what i thought too....I used to unlock all my O2 phones immediately as I travel a lot and the convenience of local sims helped. I thought I could do the same with the SE upgrade I took in June and only after I upgraded did the kind customer service girl at O2 decide to tell me the the unlocking policy wasn't applicable to iPhone SE at this time. I checked in the local O2 store and they confirmed a change of policy because lots of people were taking upgrades, unlocking and cancelling direct debits and moving abroad. Sounds like bull to me but thats what they said. I would check with them their specific policy on iPhone 7 unlocking before you pull the trigger.

6. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

Bumping this thread as I'm still unsure about this